AP without psychology undergrad?

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.
sparklepants

AP without psychology undergrad?

Post by sparklepants » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:58 am

Hi guys, I spotted an AP advert in my NHS jobs e-mails this morning (see attachment for a screen shot) that said that specifies that candidates must have an undergrad in psychology, neuroscience or related subject. Has anyone else seen this before? What do people think? I'm just surprised because I thought GBR was required to have "psychologist" in the job title.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: AP without psychology undergrad?

Post by miriam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:32 pm

The bit you have missed out is that this is a purely academic research job based at a university. See the full job advert here. To administer psychometrics for research, and understand neuroscience (and handle blood samples) doesn't require a psychology degree. I suspect they want to pull in a greater range of applicants (and pay a little less) than an equivalent academic job title and grading.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi Miriam, thanks for your reply. I didn't miss out that particular fact, actually. I am pointing out the title more so than anything - what do people think about a neuroscience graduate being called a(n assistant) psychologist? My understanding of an AP post is that it is a stepping-stone post for psychology graduates who wish to undertake further study to work as applied psychologists (this is not the most precise wording I could possibly come up with, but hopefully you know what I mean).

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:52 pm

It is an oddity that the job title is AP, rather than being an RA in the psychology dept, and open to a slightly wider audience, but I don't think it is a big deal. We don't know that there could be a person who has experience administering cognitive assessments who does not have enough psychology for GBC, but even if there were they'd hit a brick wall when it comes to advancing their career in clinical psychology unless they had it, even with AP as a job title.

But this is just about people being a little bit sloppy with job titles. In AfC bandings and BPS documents, an Assistant Clinical Psychologist is a clinical post involved in the delivery of services eg in the NHS. An Assistant Psychologist (Research) is involved in research/academia. My first post after graduating was an AP in a research project related to quality of life in dementia. They could equally have advertised it as an academic post and made it open to graduates of related subjects. There are also Psychology Assistants and Assistant Psychologists in forensic services that have a different role and minimum specification again. It is all about the context and the job title is not protected. But yes, an Assistant Clinical Psychologist, the most common type of AP on NHS jobs is someone who assists an HCPC registered practitioner psychologist and GBC is often used as a filter mechanism as it is intended as a stepping stone path to clinical training (or other practitioner doctorates).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com