How do they decide which band a job is on Agenda for Change?

Learn the lingo of clinical psychology, what the latest issues and legislation mean for us, etc.
miriam
Site Admin

How do they decide which band a job is on Agenda for Change?

Post by miriam » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:03 pm

The key thing to remember with AfC is that it is the post that is banded not the person within it. If I were to do a job that required an Assistant Psychologist's skills then I should be paid as an Assistant Psychologist even if I am qualified to be a consultant. On the other hand, if I am being paid to do a post at 8a I should not be required to do things that are part of the job description only of Consultant grade posts, banded at 8c, 8d or 9.

In general the bands are:

Assistant Psychologist or GMHW or IAPT PWP trainee - Band 4
Assistant Psychologist requiring more experience/autonomy or qualified GMHW or IAPT PWP - Band 5
Trainee Clinical Psychologist on doctoral course - Band 6
Newly qualified Clinical Psychologist (in theory should be 0-2 years experience, but if there is no preceptorship arrangement the person would stay on band 7 until they moved to another job, so often 4 years or more)
Qualified Clinical Psychologist (typically 2-6 years of experience and involves supervising) - Band 8a
Qualified Clinical Psychologist (typically 4-10 years of experience and involves supervising other qualified staff or leading a service area) - Band 8b
Consultant Clinical Psychologist (6+ years of experience and involves managing a major service area and supervising others, eg head of paediatric psychology) - Band 8c
Consultant Clinical Psychologist Service Manager (8+ years of experience and involves managing a whole service including running the budget, eg head of adult psychology for a county) - Band 8d... but numbers seem to be reducing, as posts are replaced with 8C or lower banded posts when the post-holder leaves/retires.
Consultant Clinical Psychologist Service Manager (10+ years of experience and involves managing a whole service either regionally or managing a large multi-disciplinary service and running the budget, eg head of AMH services) - Band 9... but there are very few of these in the country

The union and BPS were involved in the negotiations in how bandings would be determined. This summaryestablished the competencies for each role and is great reference material when setting the band for a new post, or disputing the banding for an existing one.

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Content checked by qualified Clinical Psychologist on 26/02/2012
Last modified on 26/02/2012
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf