Informal visits to departments prior to interview

Read tips here about about how to apply for posts and courses, what to expect in inteviews, in how short-listing is done
maven
Site Admin

Informal visits to departments prior to interview

Post by maven » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:49 pm

It is often helpful to visit a service before your interview if you can, so why not ring the department and ask if this is possible if it isn't already part of the selection process. Prepare for your offer to be declined if you do ask, though don't let that discourage you from asking, as the logistics of allowing 60-100 applicants to visit a service mean this is usually not possible until after short-listing.

However, if they do let you visit, dress fairly smartly (trousers, shirt, probably a tie) and try to have a few ideas about what you want to learn about them, e.g:

- What kind of client group do you serve?
- What kind of services do you provide?
- Who is in the team?
- What models do you base your work on?
- Is there anything I could read that would be helpful? (either recommended books, or service documentation)
- What kind of things would the successful applicant do in the service?

I'd expect to visit for about an hour, and just have a look around and a chat, fairly informally. With some services it might be that a client or service user could show you round, or meet you as part of the intro.

Added by Workingmama: I'm interviewing for two posts in a fortnight and I'm aware of feeling a definite bias in favour of those who have contacted me to ask for a visit. I won't see anyone because I don't have time, but I really liked that they wanted to make that good impression and looked keen. I'll not let that sway our decision, but it's pretty hard to work against a good first impression.

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Content checked by Workingmama on 01/7/19
Last modified on 1/7/19
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf