Does it matter where I live?

Read tips here about about how to apply for posts and courses, what to expect in inteviews, in how short-listing is done
Guest23

Does it matter where I live?

Post by Guest23 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:33 pm

Generally speaking your current address should not disadvantage you in any way in terms of applying to courses. However, there may be a small ‘statistical advantage’ in applying to courses ‘in the same region’ associated with those shortlisted for interview who then eventually go on to be made an offer of a training place (see Alice Knight’s book, ‘How to become a CP’, p.74). In Knight’s book this is attributed to a “perceived commitment to the region where the course is located” – Personally I would beg to differ and would suggest that this may in fact be largely accounted for because of the way the system is set up: a sizable number of the same candidates will be interviewed by the same courses in the same region, and candidates can only take up one training place.

Taking an example:
For the sake of argument let's assume that in the North Thames region + IOP there are about 111 places to go round. If you are then fortunate enough say to be in the ‘top 60-100 applicants’ (for that region) there’s a slightly higher chance (but no guarantee) that you will get on ‘somewhere’, than if you are (in the top 100) fighting for say each of 25 places for a course in Wales, Scotland, in the Midlands and the South East. Staying with the numbers, another way of increasing the statistical chances of getting onto training is to review the number of applicants against training places in the Clearing House Handbook.*

*Just drawing attention to the stats, not suggesting this is necessarily the best way of going about choosing courses..! :wink:

Additional Comments

Bella: If you work out the odds in the back of the book and then apply to the 4 best places (with regards to those odds) then you might have a slightly better chance.
However you are going to have to live in the place you train for three years, so it makes more sense to pick somewhere you want to be (for me anyway!)
I think its a better option to see what kind of candidates the courses interview and take on (e.g., do they interview a lot of people with PhD's, young people etc etc) and then apply according to your experience (and where you want to be of course!)

Steve79: Personally I would try not to focus too much on the stats of courses. Try to choose those that you have a "feel" for or those you have had a good recommendation about.

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Content checked by qualified Clinical Psychologist (RA) on 26 February 2012
Last modified on 17 April 2007
Last edited by russ on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Checked
The search function is (still) your friend... :wink:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf