Supporting information – How much do I write?

Read tips here about about how to apply for posts and courses, what to expect in inteviews, in how short-listing is done
Guest23

Supporting information – How much do I write?

Post by Guest23 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Generally speaking...
- Would always aim to present yourself as someone who can express themselves in a relevant, clear, grammatical and concise manner (scan in forms and word process them if you’re not blessed with a beautiful script).
- If you can fit it in the box – do so. If you have the option of ‘continuing on another sheet’ - state this clearly in the box as mentioned above (e.g. ‘Please see attached sheet’) and begin and end the supporting information on a single sheet of A4.
- If you need to write more than one side, would seriously question whether you are providing more information than is necessary – focus on/prioritise what is important/relevant (you will eventually need to be able to do this for section 10 on the clinical form).
- Occasionally where appropriate, you could attach a second sheet, which listed ‘other [hitherto unmentioned] relevant activities’, e.g. attendance at conferences, workshops, training days, courses, lecture series, presentations, etc.

If you find yourself going over ‘the limit’ try prioritising your experiences: spend more time on the more 'impressive' stuff and less on the 'less impressive'! It is possible to lump together a couple of jobs into a sentence or two (to add colour) and at the same time relate this to the post in question (in one swoop! :wink:). It can be done - definitely worth practising.

The one-page rule is not set ‘in stone’, but the chances are people are more likely to read it – less is more etc...

And a little humour…
If you write three sides where one will suffice, there is a danger you may (in certain individuals) set off some of the following, unconsciously or otherwise…:wink:

What does the candidate feel they are adding to their application by writing ‘more’?
Why/how do they think this will enhance/benefit their application?
If I’m being forced into reading ‘more’ – they better be (really) good…
Is it a problem for this applicant to express themselves clearly/concisely?
Do they not know this is a valuable skill to possess/cultivate?
Why do they insist on repeating themselves?
Don’t they know they need to address the person spec in a more efficient rather than compulsive manner?
Why do I have to wade through every single experience the candidate thinks is relevant, rather than what is actually relevant to the job on offer – after all the two things are distinct.
Has the applicant taken into account the perspective of the reader (for instance, ‘crammed in’ information at the expense of readability/layout)?
Do I want to work with this person?

Of course, everyone knows psychologists are far more ‘reasonable’ than this…:wink:

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Content checked by qualified Clinical Psychologist on DATE
Last modified on DATE
The search function is (still) your friend... :wink:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf