Having two CV's

Read tips here about about how to apply for posts and courses, what to expect in inteviews, in how short-listing is done
Paul Wicks

Having two CV's

Post by Paul Wicks » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:23 am

I have two CV's.

I have a FULL cv which is basically never sent to anyone but is where I store a complete record of everything I have ever done ever at all from 5 metre swimming badge (I cheated) to media work, consultancy, even an award I got on Wikipedia.

Then when (if) I have to apply for a job I take the most relevant bits and make a custom CV. So for instance if I were to take a job with a university they might like to know about publications and conferences. In industry they might want to know about transferable skills and some of my consultancy stuff. If I go down the DClinPsy route they might want to know about my more touchy-feely stuff.

I recommend this technique because:
a.) It saves you forgetting stuff that you've done
b.) If you ever end up as an academic you do need to have a full CV, known as an "academic CV". Mine is 10 pages, my Prof's is 60 pages, Simon Baron-Cohen's is available on the web and is something like 100 pages...
c.) It's like your own personal scrap book of things you've done in your personal career development
d.) If you're feeling particularly rubbish you can look at it and cheer yourself up about how wonderful you are.

2 pages is good but nobody has ever been shot for sending 3, particularly if you're giving the addresses of 2 referees or if you have academic references.

Personally I prefer reading skills-based CV's to chronological ones, plenty of sources of help with that on the web.

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Content checked by qualified Clinical Psychologist on DATE
Last modified on DATE

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf