Help, I've forgotten everything from my degree!

Read tips here about about how to apply for posts and courses, what to expect in inteviews, in how short-listing is done
miriam
Site Admin

Help, I've forgotten everything from my degree!

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:48 am

Don't panic! Once you are calm, things will come back to you. And even if they don't a small amount of reading will normally trigger those memories.

If I'm honest, put on the spot I can't think of anything from my first degree that I still know and use. I do remember some trivia about behavioural ecology which on the face of it seems irrelevant. I guess I had a general gist of neuropsychology and child development and pychopathology, but all of it has been cemented and built upon by later learning and reading. So don't despair. You can read something relevant to each job you apply for, and anything that is interesting to you, and it will reactivate that dormant knowledge, consolidate it and start to integrate. You'll soon get an area you can become immersed in, and then you'll wonder what you were worrying about. I'm now an anorak of knowledge about attachment, ASD, psychometrics, and some aspects of parenting, but there is always something new to learn. I am interested now it applies to the clients I want to assist (or even if it is clinically relevant), so it doesn't feel such hard work to read the papers and books.

There are some core text books I'd recommend as a good way to get an overview of what is relevant to clinical work.
"What works for Whom?" by Fonagy and Roth is one that might be worth borrowing from a library. Also Hawton KW, Salkovskis, M. Kirk, J. Clark, D. (1989) Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Psychiatric Problems: A Practical Guide is a real staple for adult work and CBT. And for child work: The Handbook of Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychology: A Contextual Approach by Alan Carr, and the Fonagy Roth and Cottrell book on evidence based intervention is good too. It might also be helpful to think about formulation (see Dallos, for example) and something on third wave therapies (eg Gilbert on compassion) but just have a browse by the key words that are relevant and start reading what seems both relevant and interesting!

If you use the menu, alphabetical index or the search function you'll find that this wiki contains several threads listing book recommendations for particular topic areas. But don't forget to click our amazon link if you want to purchase any!

Note: If you have a suggestion about how to improve or add to this wiki please post it here. If you want to discuss this post please post a new thread in the forum. There is information about the structure, rules and copyright of the wiki here.

Content checked by qualified Clinical Psychologist on 1/4/12
Last modified on 1/4/12
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf