Being a PWP with a Disability

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Catherine28

Being a PWP with a Disability

Post by Catherine28 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be happy to share their experience of being a PWP/getting onto the training course whilst also having a disability?

I was recently diagnosed with MS (but they believe it first started back in 2007). I have been feeling concerned that having MS is stopping me from being able to follow this career path. It has already made it quite difficult to gain work experience.

I know that I would be able to cope with full time study if it was just for a year, but I wonder if part-time options are available (so far I havent seen any advertised) or whether reasonable adjustments can still be made in a PWP post?

Best wishes,

Catherine

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Hlayts

Re: Being a PWP with a Disability

Post by Hlayts » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi Catherine,
I trained at PWP with what I didn’t know at the time was rheumatoid arthritis. I was lucky in that it didn’t really interfere much with the course/work at that time so I didn’t really need any extra support. I had colleagues that did have some extra support through access to work though.
I’m doing my clinical training at the moment and it has been tricky as I’ve been unwell and off once for 6 weeks. This being said the course have been very supportive through their management of it, signposting me to services such as the disability student allowance and being understanding that I need time off for medical appointments. I’m unlikely to complete the course in the three years but they are flexible on that too. I also know of people that have worked part time but I don’t know much more about that sorry. Feel free to DM me if you have questions.
Helen

hawke

Post by hawke » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:52 pm

I am a Senior PWP currently and have a disability. I started experiencing symptoms and was diagnosed just after finishing my PWP training, so can't comment on that aspect, but can certainly answer any questions about working as a PWP with a disability. Feel free to send me a direct message.

Catherine28

Post by Catherine28 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 am

Thank you both for your responses :)

I will DM you both shortly as I have a few more questions

Best wishes,

Catherine