How likely for trainee PWPs to be offered a qualified post in the same team after training?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
robininthewind

How likely for trainee PWPs to be offered a qualified post in the same team after training?

Post by robininthewind »

Hi there,

After what seemed like an eternity of a job search but actually ended up being around 1 month, I was offered (verbally) a trainee PWP role in London, which I enthusiastically accepted. My parents do live in London, but it's on the other end of London and so the commute will be quite rough (1hr 40mins each way). Our plan is for me to live at home initially, and once things settle, move closer to the office.

It would help with my future planning, looking at tenancy contract lengths etc. if I knew whether I could keep the PWP job in the same team I will be training in. This was not mentioned in the job description, even though for other PWP jobs in other teams, they do sometimes mention it's a guarantee or a possibility. Had I had the foresight, I would've asked this in the interview (also a good way to demonstrate that I planned to stick around in IAPT and not leave asap, I think).

Of course, the person best equipped to answer this is my service. I have emailed my interview contact to ask but not received a reply. I'm holding off on asking again as I understand they're v busy, and I'm planning to ask when I politely chase up the job contract (~1-2 weeks from now).

Thank you for reading and any answers!
Alex

Re: How likely for trainee PWPs to be offered a qualified post in the same team after training?

Post by Alex »

I wouldn't worry too much; there is so much turnover of PWP staff that it is a high possibility there would be a job in the service. Though is likely to change very soon when PWPs will not be allowed to apply for clinical training unless they have undertaken two years in PWP job, which in turn will decrease turnover.
robininthewind

Re: How likely for trainee PWPs to be offered a qualified post in the same team after training?

Post by robininthewind »

Alex wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:33 pm I wouldn't worry too much; there is so much turnover of PWP staff that it is a high possibility there would be a job in the service. Though is likely to change very soon when PWPs will not be allowed to apply for clinical training unless they have undertaken two years in PWP job, which in turn will decrease turnover.
Thanks Alex. That's really interesting to hear about the new restriction for PWPs working 2+ years before being able to apply for the doctorate. I had a quick google but didn't manage to come across any further information - do you remember where you heard this from?
Alex

Post by Alex »

It may not be public knowledge yet. I understand many universities are only just signing their new HEE contracts.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Let's wait and see if this is just one region or course, or a widespread thing. I've only ever heard of the CAP course in Scotland having a one year rule for the local clinical course.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
SnowGem

Post by SnowGem »

Hello,

Just thought I would mention that I have noticed the two-year rule included in some very recent trainee PWP and trainee EMHP ads (within the last month), in the job description/person specifications. It says something along the lines of working in the nhs post for two years before being eligible to apply for further NHS training like the DClin Psych. Can't remember the exact wording-sorry.
Northernlad

Post by Northernlad »

Was the post advertised as permanent or temporary? If it was as 12-month fixed term contract then this might indicate that it is just the training contract. It will be on your contract once you get that through or you could try and trace back to the advert if it's still viewable.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Alex wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:27 pm It may not be public knowledge yet. I understand many universities are only just signing their new HEE contracts.
It is now.

https://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/entry.html