IAPT Evidence-Based CBT Formulations

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Ivy

IAPT Evidence-Based CBT Formulations

Post by Ivy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi

I know that IAPT high intensity workers do cbt formulations (case conceptualisation) for dep, anxiety, social phobia...etc. But I have heard that they only use certain CBT formulations approved by IAPT.

Does anyone know any websites or books that give further information on which formulation ?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
baa

Re: IAPT Evidence-Based CBT Formulations

Post by baa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:18 pm

within lectures we were taught the protocols from the cbt core competencies document (if you google that plus ucl plus Roth and Pilling, it should come up). However, we still individualise any formulation, plus the use of transdiagnostic formulation, in actual practice. As regular cbt therapists would do!
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks for reply...are there any recommended disorder specific models

baa

Post by baa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:21 pm

the recommended models are linked to the protocols within the core competencies document e.g. Dugas/borkovec/wells - GAD, Beck -depression, Clark or Craske and Barlow - panic. If you look in the disorder specific competencies, then it'll have them referenced in there.

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Disorder specific formulations here. May be a good starting point :).

Ruthie
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

ejg206

Post by ejg206 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:04 pm

However be warned about get sekf help as not all of these are IAPT approved!! I am looking for the IAPT approved social phobia/anxiety model. thanks for your pointers!! :lol:

baa

Post by baa » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Clark and Wells, or Wells and Clark. Depending on whether you're reading Clark's or Wells' book :D

Dr.Dot

Post by Dr.Dot » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:20 pm

baa wrote:within lectures we were taught the protocols from the cbt core competencies document (if you google that plus ucl plus Roth and Pilling, it should come up). However, we still individualise any formulation, plus the use of transdiagnostic formulation, in actual practice. As regular cbt therapists would do!
Yeah, Roth and Pilling is the best for checking this out. It says for social phobia: Heimberg or Clark.

(The use of transdiagnostic formulations, self-esteem for one, is very interesting...given that part of what IAPT is doing is to be a massive experiment to see if the efficacy form evidenced based models are effective in clinical settings. When we stray from the models, we are messing that up.)
Dorothy: Now which way do we go?

LIWY

Post by LIWY » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Dr.Dot wrote: (The use of transdiagnostic formulations, self-esteem for one, is very interesting...given that part of what IAPT is doing is to be a massive experiment to see if the efficacy form evidenced based models are effective in clinical settings. When we stray from the models, we are messing that up.)
In our service very few of the Step3s stay strictly to the models (I know this from asking them about how they work), they bring in elements from their other trainings or previous core professions so any conclusions made about these models, if based purely on numbers through IAPT and a tick box that the session was CBT will be based on seriously flawed evidence. I'm sure our service is not unusual in that. In fact, I expect the ones sticking mostly to the models are the ex PWPs who did not have a core training outside of CBT.

Beaut

Post by Beaut » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Dr.Dot wrote:
baa wrote:within lectures we were taught the protocols from the cbt core competencies document (if you google that plus ucl plus Roth and Pilling, it should come up). However, we still individualise any formulation, plus the use of transdiagnostic formulation, in actual practice. As regular cbt therapists would do!
Yeah, Roth and Pilling is the best for checking this out. It says for social phobia: Heimberg or Clark.

(The use of transdiagnostic formulations, self-esteem for one, is very interesting...given that part of what IAPT is doing is to be a massive experiment to see if the efficacy form evidenced based models are effective in clinical settings. When we stray from the models, we are messing that up.)

Given the lack of evidence for Fennell's self esteem model in IAPT, is there any documentation/research about how best to work with low-self esteem?

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:44 pm

I am interested when people say trans-diagnostic formulations, what does this look like? Are they just vicious flowers or something else? If there is any literature/reference, I would be interested in reading it.

alexh

Post by alexh » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Self-Compassion or self-esteem might be a more important question.

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:30 pm

Alex wrote:I am interested when people say trans-diagnostic formulations, what does this look like? Are they just vicious flowers or something else? If there is any literature/reference, I would be interested in reading it.
This is one example of a trans diagnostic formulation... http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/model ... Esteem.pdf

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 pm

Beaut wrote:
Dr.Dot wrote:

Given the lack of evidence for Fennell's self esteem model in IAPT, is there any documentation/research about how best to work with low-self esteem?
Most IAPT services use Fennell's self esteem model, if thinking about it from a CBT perspective.

Ppepper25

Post by Ppepper25 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:08 am

Alex wrote:I am interested when people say trans-diagnostic formulations, what does this look like? Are they just vicious flowers or something else? If there is any literature/reference, I would be interested in reading it.
There is quite alot of literature out there on transdiagnostic processes in disorders such as OCD, depression and anxiety. Low self esteem and perfectionism are two transdiagnostic processes where the evidence base is emerging and looking positive. I've used both before, with varying results. For one client whilst their symptoms were low mood and anxiety they wouldn't have related to either of those labels, and instead described their problem as stress and needing to succeed. So when we looked at the perfectionism model (by Roz Shafran) it hit the nail on the head.