Confused about IAPT

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
scriddle

Confused about IAPT

Post by scriddle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Never posted a thread on here before... so tell me if I'm doing this wrong!! Here goes...

From what I understand, the IAPT system has clinical psychologists at the back where the most severe cases end up (and for supervision)... but after speaking to various people about the IAPT I got the impression that they may change this and have some clinical psychologists at the front for the assessment stage so clients don't get passed around the system as much. This makes sense to me... but I can't find anywhere online that says that... is this a proposal, or have these people just come up with similar ideas? Sorry if that made no sense!

photojonny

Re: Confused about IAPT

Post by photojonny » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:55 am

Hi.

I think you may be a little confused about the link between Clinical Psychology and IAPT. IAPT generally has two types of worker. A Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner who undertakes CBT based guided self-help at Step 2, and Hi-Intensity Therapists, who are basically CBT Therapists undertaking longer pieces of individualised CBT at Step 3. There is no direct link with Clinical Psychology. I work in an IAPT service with no Clinical Psychology staff. Most PWPs are either psychology graduates with some mental health experience who then undertake further training, or are qualified mental health staff (nursing/OT/social work). Hi-Intensity Therapists usually have a 'core qualification' which can include Clinical Psychology, and well as nursing, OT, social work, counselling etc, but all will have completed a formal CBT diploma of some sort. Hi-Intensity workers do see more complex cases and provide supervision, but they are not necessarily psychologists.

Hope this helps.

Will
Team Member

Re: Confused about IAPT

Post by Will » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:37 am

Just to add to the above, IAPT services are set up differently in different places. Many do look like the one photojonny describes and psychology is often sat separate to IAPT in services like this. However many services do employ CPs to work at Step 4 within the IAPT team. These CPs may be responsible for clinical lead and supervisory work. I have been involved with some services who ran 'screening' assessments to help determine what step new referrals should go to - CPs may be involved with this, either directly or indirectly. This isn't universal but it's something that some services are trying to efficiently manage referrals. There are advantages and disadvantages to this way of working, which is probably why it hasn't been taken up by services across the board.

So basically...it's different everywhere! If you're looking to apply for jobs in a particular IAPT site I'd get in touch with them and ask for information about how the service is set up.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis