Low Intensity University Course

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
psychsocialworker

Low Intensity University Course

Post by psychsocialworker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi all,

I have recently accepted a Trainee LI PWP post and now have to apply for the PG Cert course at Birmingham.

I am just looking for people's experiences of the IAPT Low Intensity PG Cert, at all universities as I imagine they are broadly similar (although I could be wrong) - for example in terms of the difficulty of the course, workload and how you are assessed, how many assessments etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks :)

Psychsocialworker

Psychological

Re: Low Intensity University Course

Post by Psychological » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi Psychsocialworker,

Congrats on getting the post! When I got my post the training came included and I did not have to find my own course. However, as long as your course is accredited I assume they all follow a similar structure as they should all be working towards the same national curriculum. You can find the curriculum for low-intensity therapies workers and other useful documents below:
http://www.iapt.nhs.uk/workforce/low-intensity/

That gives you an insight into all of the modules and what competencies you should achieve by the end and how you're assessed.

Some of the methods of assessment include being recorded doing an assessment and treatment session with an actor and then writing reflective accounts, an exam, an equality and diversity essay, practise based outcomes, and a supervision assessment.

PanGirl1984

Post by PanGirl1984 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi Psychsocialworker,

I'm just coming to the end of the PGCert LIPI course at University of Birmingham.

I'm not going to lie, it is intense. There's one day per week teaching and most weeks a 'directed learning' day too. On those days, you are given an assignment to complete, which is designed to take about 6 hours. These have to be submitted each week but are not 'marked' - instead they go into your portfolio. There are 4 modules altogether (see the curriculum for details) and for all, there is an exam, an observed clinical examination (role-play), and an essay. For module 3 there is a presentation too. I have found that generally, the standard required isn't too bad but some of those without degrees have struggled. What is your background?

The main difficulty with the programme is the pace and the closeness of many of the deadlines i.e. having an exam one week and an essay due the next. But I think they are aiming to improve this for the next cohort. You just need to be organised, if you fall behind, it will stress you out trying to catch up.

Good luck and congratulations!

psychsocialworker

Post by psychsocialworker » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Brill,thanks so much to both of you for your helpful replies.

Yes it's quite strange because I thought that when you have been offered a trainee post you automatically get accepted on to a local university course - maybe it is like that in some areas - but I have been told I have to apply for the Birmingham course and go for a selection day as the course have their own entry requirements. But hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. My employer have sent off a nomination form so I think in competition for places on the course it means you get priority over someone applying maybe as a self-funded position? I'm not sure though.

My background is I have a 1st class undergrad degree in Psychology in Education and I'm about to complete my Masters in Social Work. So hopefully the standard of work shouldn't be too much harder than my masters...it's more the amount of work on top of practice days and how deadlines are spread out that i'm more concerned about. But like you say I will just have to get myself organised and do my best, that's all anyone can do at the end of the day!

I'm really looking forward to starting actually. Although nerves will inevitably kick in nearer my start date!

Thanks again to both of you. :D

Bronty87

Post by Bronty87 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi Psychosocialworker,

Congrats on getting the post!, I had an interview for Wolverhampton Healthy minds a few years ago and I declined it due to this issue of having to be successful at a uni selection day also (So that must just be how Birmingham uni operates).

Anyway, I have just completed the course (confirmation received today *Dances*) and after reading pangirl1984's post it appears that the courses are identical. I studied at Reading and basically 4 modules each with an exam, a reflective essay and a role play or presentation. This would be all well and good if they didn't cram it into one week after the other :bom:

Anyways, I did my first year of a masters in social work and dropped out before completion due to family issues, but if you have got that, then I seriously think the course will be simple enough for you so long as you plan your time wisely. What really affects this is the service you work for, as I work for Berks and it is really intense and an in demand service so we started building a caseload straight away where as I know other services tend not to do this whilst on the course. (I personally like being thrown into it though as it is useful to reflect on things in the assessments and especially the portfolio at the end).

Good luck. :)

psychsocialworker

Post by psychsocialworker » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks for your reply Bronty87.

It's good to know my course should follow the same structure then (That is assuming I actually get on!). I'm sure it is intense but hopefully no worse than my Social Work course has been.

Are you glad you went in to IAPT rather than Social Work do you think?

Thanks,

Psychsocialworker

PanGirl1984

Post by PanGirl1984 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:53 am

As far as I'm aware, they aren't currently accepting self-funded places so everyone will be in the same position. Last year, around half of those who applied got on. But that was including non-graduates. So I would expect that with your background, you'll be fine. Yes, I think the particular service you are in affects how you manage the course. We had caseloads almost straight away but actually, I think this helped with our confidence when it came to the first two modules. You also get better at things like managing risk. Mind you, I would definitely have appreciated a slightly more gradual start!