2 years post qualified?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
orc

2 years post qualified?

Post by orc » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm currently a PWP and my thinking was that you had to be 2 years post qualified as a PWP to be able to apply for a HIT post?

I've worked in two services, my previous service I've seen PWP's be offered a trainee HIT post in writing to be later withdrawn due to the candidate not having the mandatory 2 years and IAPT management outside of the service enforcing this rule.

However in my second service I've recently discovered that one of my ex colleagues (they left my current service this month) has just been offered a trainee HIT post that commences this October. However this person does not have the mandatory 2 years post qualified, we commenced training at the same time and they don't have a core profession. This person was actually unemployed for a number of years prior to starting in IAPT.

I therefore thought that this mandatory time requirement may have been lifted, I therefore also applied for a trainee HIT post along with another PWP who qualified at the same time as us. We were both rejected at short listing due to our length of experience!

I'm at a bit of a loss to what is going on?! I feel that if this rule is being enforced for some and not others, this is unfair.

Any thoughts? Thanks

PanGirl1984

Re: 2 years post qualified?

Post by PanGirl1984 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi Orc,

My understanding was that employers cannot specify exactly how long post-qualification experience you have (against employment law? :| ) However, 'good practice' guidelines suggest at least two years. How far off are you? I wouldn't let it stop you from applying for posts if that's what you really want to do. You never know...

Psychological

Post by Psychological » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:54 pm

This is still the latest information on the IAPT website: http://www.iapt.nhs.uk/silo/files/iaptb ... -final.pdf

They call it a recommendation rather than a requirement though, so maybe that's how your other ex-colleague's new service got around it?

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 pm

I share your confusion OP, I've recently discovered that this is quite a grey area.

For example, in my service a colleague was offered the HI post by the service but it had to be withdrawn because the university objected to the colleague not having a 'core' degree yet they had many other qualifications at varying levels and many, many years of experience to which my reaction was like ':shock:'

Yet in another service, my friends colleague was accepted with less experience and also without a 'core' degree at the same university :?:

Of course, there may be other reasons for this which I may not be aware of but it seems that at least some parts of the criteria to apply for the HI can be taken as 'guidelines' as opposed to 'requirements'.

I'm a long way off applying for HI posts but don't let it put you off as it does seem possible to go for the HI posts before the full two years as qualified PWP :)
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

orc

Post by orc » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated!

Like many aspects of IAPT it seems that this 2 years rule is open to interpretation! For example in my current service I'm apparently allowed to treat health anxiety and social anxiety at step 2 :roll: