PWP BABCP accredition

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
pablohoney

PWP BABCP accredition

Post by pablohoney » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Hello :)

Has anyone become accredited with the BABCP as a PWP? How did you find the process? Do you think in retrospect that it was a worthwhile thing to do? Really interested to hear everyone's opinons on this.

jamesivens

Re: PWP BABCP accredition

Post by jamesivens » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 am

It was a few years ago now but I remember thinking it was quite a straightforward process. In terms of whether it was worthwhile, I know on a Trust/Service level they were quite keen for us to be accredited, and on a personal level I wanted to do it to consolidate the years hard work and there's value in being linked to a professional body. I quite liked having it on my cv as I preferred 'qualified psychological wellbeing practitioner accredited with the BABCP' than without the accreditation. I think half the people in my service at the time went for the accreditation and half didn't think it was worth the time and cost.

musicalhen

Post by musicalhen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 pm

I was a pwp for 2.5 years and never bothered as I felt personally it was a waste of money and my time - it amounts to status and nothing more. If you have been through an accredited course such as Exeter, then for me, that was enough.

SheRa

Post by SheRa » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:58 am

I got my accreditation for exactly the same reasons as jamesivens - I like being linked to a professional body and it felt like it was extra, and welcome, recognition for becoming fully qualified. Other professionals have to register with professional bodies - eg teachers, nurses, CBT therapists, to be able to practice, so it makes sense to me to become accredited.

I found it fairly easy to do not long after qualifying because I had had very consistent supervision, so had achieved the required hours, and kept detailed records and logs of supervision for the pwp training and for a few months after, so I was able to use most of that to submit as evidence.

I wasn't aware there'd be a yearly fee of £15 to remain accredited when I first did it, this is on top of having to be re-accredited every 3 years at a cost of £115 each time (I think it was about this amount) and the yearly BABCP membership fee. But I like being kept up to date with emails, magazines and journals about what's going on in CBT and IAPT land, which is what the membership pays for.

Basically, yes I think it was worthwhile - I like having the badge (metaphorically speaking).
By the Power of Grey Skull!

autumnleaf

Post by autumnleaf » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:05 am

I find accreditation helps me to reflect and look back at my learning over time and development. I find the accreditation process straight forward. I kept my clinical skills and case management up to date on a regular basis.

I like receiving journals and updates etc. The reaccreditation asks for 5 pieces of reading a year so the journals are helpful with this.