Annual Leave: Trainee PWP

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
louisehorne91

Annual Leave: Trainee PWP

Post by louisehorne91 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out - I'm due to start a trainee pwp post at the end of Feb (really excited!) but I was just wondering how the annual leave works whilst training?

Can you only take annual leave during half terms? I am entitled to 25 days leave and hoping to book a holiday in June but with the course starting in April I'm unsure whether this would be allowed. I was just hoping to find others experiences.

Thanks!

Lola24

Re: Annual Leave: Trainee PWP

Post by Lola24 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi Louise

Congrats on getting a trainee post! :D

When I was a trainee PWP, annual leave worked the same as in any role. You can take it anytime in your working days but you weren't allowed to miss any teaching for annual leave (one day a week). We didn't have half term as such as the university teaching is slightly different in terms of timetable. I think the best plan would be to check which weeks you wouldn't be at uni with the course before booking anything. I know we had exams in June on ours.

Lola

louisehorne91

Post by louisehorne91 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi Lola,

Thanks for the reply! I was going to wait until I started with the service anyway before I booked anything but I wasn't 100% sure how they worked the annual leave, as obviously I know there is a certain amount of university you have to attend.

Thanks again :)

PsychBrainiac

Post by PsychBrainiac » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:15 pm

louisehorne91 wrote:Hi Lola,

Thanks for the reply! I was going to wait until I started with the service anyway before I booked anything but I wasn't 100% sure how they worked the annual leave, as obviously I know there is a certain amount of university you have to attend.

Thanks again :)
Hello,

Well done! Where are you starting your training?

Many of the PWP programmes require 100% attendance. It would be a good idea to see when your teaching and assessments are before booking any leave. It is different if you have pre-booked holiday but you most probably won't be able to book leave when in post (that would result in you missing teaching and/or assessments). Programmes often provide the opportunity to catch up on missed teaching but missing assessments without extenuating circumstances is an issue. Best to wait until you see a timetable I think.

PB
To to ro Totoro To to ro Totoro

louisehorne91

Post by louisehorne91 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Hello!

Thank you for replying! I'm going to be in the Warrington Service (North west) and doing the course through Liverpool John Moore's.

I know, I thought as much tbh. I'm just going to see what the situation is once I start there. Only got a week left until I start so getting really nervous/excited!

Louise.

PsychBrainiac

Post by PsychBrainiac » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:15 pm

louisehorne91 wrote:Hello!

Thank you for replying! I'm going to be in the Warrington Service (North west) and doing the course through Liverpool John Moore's.

I know, I thought as much tbh. I'm just going to see what the situation is once I start there. Only got a week left until I start so getting really nervous/excited!

Louise.
Enjoy!

Do you know how many other people are starting with you? It's a good learning experience! My advice would be to not underestimate how much work the training is! I really enjoyed mine though.

PB
To to ro Totoro To to ro Totoro

Katwilliams91

Post by Katwilliams91 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:36 pm

f

graduateak

Post by graduateak » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Just to ecco what others have said: that as you are an employee, you tend to receive annual leave in the same way that an usual employee would receive. However, most courses expect full attendence of the university days (as you have to attend a minimum number of teaching hourse). The course I did was a bit more flexible and we were able to make-up missed teaching, with catch-up sessions, these were mainly for people who had started late on the course but others attended, who had valid excuses. Also on bank holidays the Universities don't tend to be open so people either worked at home or went into their placement to do uni work. So it is probably worth double checking with your Uni.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ― Albert Einstein.