IAPT Course

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
sorayadanica

IAPT Course

Post by sorayadanica » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:18 am

Hi all,

I have a 2:1 in psychology and an MSc in Children's Mental Health but it still doesn't seem to be enough to widen my pool of opportunities.

Has anyone done an IAPT course and would you recommend it? Are there plenty of job opportunities available in the NHS or private sector once completed?

At this stage I'm just trying to get another leg up in the big clinical doctorate game!

Thanks,
Soraya

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: IAPT Course

Post by Geishawife » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:26 am

There's a whole section on IAPT on this site. Might be worth a trawl through to see what different people's experiences have been.

Cattius

Post by Cattius » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:09 pm

I've done the PWP course, I found it good. I work in an IAPT service, and I enjoy it.

I know 3 people personally who've used PWP/IAPT as a stepping stone to CP, and several more who have used PWP to make the leap to CBT therapy. So, it is a very popular choice.

As Geishawife said, there's tonnes of info on this forum with the pros and cons of AP vs PWP and RA vs AP.

Personally, I've found that the PWP role is incredibly competitive to get into, especially in the last 2-4 years. There's a huge increase in people applying for PWP, and HIT/CBT even more so.
Cattius.

"Go away, I'm alright" The last words of HG Wells.

easdannsair

Post by easdannsair » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:17 pm

I haven't done the IAPT course, but I am an Assistant PWP in an IAPT service.

My understanding, certainly in the southern and northern parts of England, are that qualified PWPs are in high demand, both as agency staff and as permanent positions.