PWP salary and progression?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
jwardmagic

Post by jwardmagic » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:02 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a topic in search to answer the question specifically.

Basically, I understanding PWP trainees are on a band 4 salary. But is this on the lower or higher end? Or mid range? How much (outside of London) generally do PWP trainee's get paid for their training year?

Secondly, how much is paid on band 5 after graduation, and how fast does pay increase each year?

I will be very grateful for anyone who can shed light on this for me! :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Jennyp88

Re: PWP salary and progression?

Post by Jennyp88 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi jwardmagic,

the pay is at band 4 at the lower end which is £19,027 plus HCA which ranges differently if you live in or outside london and if you work for the NHS (not sure how this works for private organisations). Upon completion you start at the beginning of band 5 £21,692 plus the HCA entitlements. I know in the NHS you will get incremental increases every year depending on whether you have met your targets throughout the year.

Hope this helps.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 pm

In the NHS you always start on the bottom point of the band, unless you have directly relevant experience on that band in the NHS already. There isn't really any discretion or scope for negotiation, except in very specific circumstances (eg in certain circumstances they may give credit for x years of the same job title in a similar, non-NHS, provider meaning you start x points into the band, or when remaining employed within the same band in the same trust but for slightly different jobs).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

jwardmagic

Post by jwardmagic » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:25 pm

Thank you. I assume then once qualified you start at 'point 1'... ( £21, 692) and then if you meet your targets each year, you go up to 'point 2'... (£22,236), and then a year later 'point 3'.. ( £23, 132) etc ?

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:48 pm

You automatically move spine points every year, regardless of whether you've met your targets or not.

Your line manager might monitor your clinical activity closely and implement a performance management plan if you are not meeting your targets, but I don't think they have any power to prevent you from getting the automatic incremental pay rise.

CuppaT

Post by CuppaT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Yes however if you're training is not up to date they can refuse, or so I'm told. And I believe you're appraisals need to have been satisfactorily completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:10 pm

CuppaT wrote:Yes however if you're training is not up to date they can refuse, or so I'm told. And I believe you're appraisals need to have been satisfactorily completed.

I can't say it's definitely not happening but in all my years in the NHS, I have never heard / seen it happen.

CuppaT

Post by CuppaT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:12 pm

I didn't know that, so thanks!

Loula

Post by Loula » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:29 pm

bluegoat wrote:
CuppaT wrote:Yes however if you're training is not up to date they can refuse, or so I'm told. And I believe you're appraisals need to have been satisfactorily completed.

I can't say it's definitely not happening but in all my years in the NHS, I have never heard / seen it happen.
In my trust you don't get your increment unless your manager signs it off- and for this to happen you have to be up to date with mandatory training and your appraisal. I'm not in IAPT though.

baa

Post by baa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Yep, increments are not automatic in my trust either (iapt and non iapt services).
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

Sushiroll

Post by Sushiroll » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:54 am

Hi,

I have worked as an AP in the NHS for 3 years and therefore am on the third increment of band 4. If I were to start PWP training, would I go back to the first point of band 4 or as it is still in the NHS, would I be able to keep my increment date and thus go to the 4th increment of band 4?