Music Therapy

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
butterflyfingers

Music Therapy

Post by butterflyfingers » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi guys. I'm a Psychology graduate, I'm also a pianist. I currently work in an IAPT service, not as a PWP, but as a Employment Support Worker. I would like to go into CBT as a PWP, and then go into Music Therapy (I also think it will be great having a therapy background before going into Music Therapy).

I know how to apply and everything when I get to that stage, but I just wondered if anybody here has ever applied, or been a Music Therapist before? Or knows anyone who ever was and how they found it?

It'd be interested to know how you/they found being a Music therapist, studying the course, your journey beforehand, as well as the different opportunities (if any) being a Music therapist offers...

Thanks

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maggie83

Re: Music Therapy

Post by maggie83 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:08 am

Hi Butterfly Fingers

I'm starting training in Music Therapy next month ...So I can't comment on what it's like being a trainee yet, but my journey prior to now was psych BSc and support work, then several years in health research, a couple of years travelling, and a health coaching role, with a some bank/honorary AP. From going to the open day, it seemed like people were applying from a whole range of backgrounds. My music background isn't very conventional, so didn't even consider MT until this year as a possible career and when I found out I could apply my direction changed completely!

Good luck with your plans :)