Trainee PWP course alongside Part-Time MSc?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Rachelmc23

Trainee PWP course alongside Part-Time MSc?

Post by Rachelmc23 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi guys,

I have secured a place on the MSc Clinical Applications in Psychology course at Newman, on a part-time basis. I'm keen to get a job as a PWP and at the moment, there are a lot of vacancies within my area.

I know the PWP training is quite demanding. Is it possible to do the PWP training alongside my part-time MSc?

As far as i'm aware, there's nothing stopping me doing both at the same time if it comes to it?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Rachel
"So often we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to enjoy the journey"

-Dieter F. Uchtdorf.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Milka

Re: Trainee PWP course alongside Part-Time MSc?

Post by Milka » Fri May 27, 2016 5:20 pm

It's possible but it would be a lot of hard work. I've supervised trainee PWPs and it is a demanding course, so doing a masters as well would be tough.

Jennyp88

Post by Jennyp88 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:07 pm

They won't allow you to do the training and a masters at the same time, if you make it known to them..

jlb36

Post by jlb36 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:28 pm

Trainee PWP posts are usually full time - when I trained it was 1 day per week at university and 4 days per week working in the service. Also had a lot of studying, essays etc to do in my own time outside of work. When I did my masters it was full time (so different to part time) but again was a lot of work. I don't think it would be possible to manage both at the same time let alone doing them justice.. Might be worth thinking about what your priorities are now?

If you're keen to do a masters you might be able to secure a clinically relevant job part time alongside, e.g. Mental health support worker?

Rachelmc23

Post by Rachelmc23 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Thank you for all of your replies.

I think it would be too much work to do both of them alongside each other, if that's even possible, as you said Jenny. I wasn't sure if it was even allowed.

I'm keen to do my masters and work a relevant job alongside. I'm working as a HCA on a bank basis within inpatient units at the moment, so hopefully I can secure a permanent role or find something different.

Thanks again!
"So often we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to enjoy the journey"

-Dieter F. Uchtdorf.