Becoming a high intensity therapist

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Keira

Becoming a high intensity therapist

Post by Keira » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi,

I aspire to become a high intensity therapist but I am not sure how to achieve this goal.

I am to graduate with a upper 2:1 in BSc Psychology (Hons) from Canterbury Christ church university. I have also volunteered as a member of the patient advice liasion service at an inpatient mental health service for eighteen months.

As a result, I was thinking that it would be best to obtain a place as a trainee psychological wellbeing practioner, and then apply to a paid high intensity therapist trainee position through the ksa after two years within a pwp role, since I do not possess a core profession.

However, I am unsure whether it would be best to achieve a core profession by undertaking an accredited counselling course and then applying for a trainee HIT position.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Highintensity

Re: Becoming a high intensity therapist

Post by Highintensity » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi Keira,

To be honest I don't think you need much advice as you seem to already know two routes into the position which is great. Me personally I took the pwp route but it did take me a good 4-5 years experience as a PWP and a number of attempts at HIT interviews before I got there so it does take a lot of commitment and patience as there was a huge amount of competition from similar people in my position but also other professionals such as psychologists and nurses etc so but by no means is it impossible and with dedication I'm sure you can make it but if you are going down this route I'd make sure to get the most out of your PWP years and focus on that for the time being.

I can't really comment on the counselling route as I've never known anyone who has done that but when going for interviews for HIT I'm sure you would have to be really cbt focused so something to bear in mind if you do decide to practice counselling.

A third option you didn't mention was to do training in CBT, like the post graduate diploma or masters via self funding (if this is financially an option for you) - as long as you have a work place where you can do CBT and have a CBT supervisor this may be an easier way then the highly competitive high intensity trainee route, but again it depends on finances and whether you want to do that as you could work as a HIT via this.

Either way the forum is full of useful tips and all the best to you which ever route you choose.

Keira

Re: Becoming a high intensity therapist

Post by Keira » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi Highintensity,

Thanks for your advice. At the moment I'm looking into the pwp route but I'm a little unsure as to which roles involve progressing to this :).