What to expect from a PWP role?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Sandwich

What to expect from a PWP role?

Post by Sandwich » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:48 am

I have an interview for PWP role with a local charity. Although its advertised as a PWP It must be a training role as its not asking for the specific qualification. Its a time limited contract with the possibility for extension. My background is in social work so this would be quite a different way of working for me. I'm looking to move away from social work as I need a better work /life balance and less stress. I do have some reservations about the target aspect of the PWP role and how this works in practice. I don't want to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire hence I'm looking for something less demanding. This role is considerably less well paid than my current SW post although it would likely increase my skill set.

If I was offered the post and chose to accept I'd be looking at self funding relevant training alongside of it. I'm not sure what my options would be in respect of this? A CBT course maybe?

I'd be grateful for any advise from people doing the job.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ThereIsAlwaysCake

Re: What to expect from a PWP role?

Post by ThereIsAlwaysCake » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:16 pm

I used to work as a PWP for nearly 3 years, and I would think you will still find plenty of stress in that role I'm afraid. I can't be sure how it compares to social work (though I'd imagine social work is harsher, honestly), but it's definitely one of the more stressful jobs I have done, and has a very high turnover of staff in general.

You can see what the job is supposed to be like via the Reach Out manual, or the videos on the main IAPT site (few posts on this forum also). However, in reality pressure on services means dealing with more complexity in less time with less resources (i.e. many, many more group approaches than you might expect because In my experience, it is rare to find a PWP who has stayed in the role for longer than 2-3 years.

You might want to consider looking at high intensity instead, ('proper' CBT) as you would be able to apply due to having a 'core profession'. This is better paid and the staff are better supervised and protected than PWPs (usually). You also get more sessions to work your magic. I imagine it is still quite stressful, but those I've spoken to who have done both jobs preferred the CBT therapist by quite a margin.