Hi IAPT trainee position

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Rubedo

Hi IAPT trainee position

Post by Rubedo » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:21 am

Hi everyone!
I have been shortlisted for HI IAPT training with West Midlands NHS.
While I am really enthusiastic about that, I'm having some trouble finding a position where to do the clinical bit of the training. I sort of jumped into this IAPT thing without many hopes, coming from abroad with no solid working experience, but now that it is getting real I'm really motivated and excited.
My question is: is there any specific criteria that make a service suitable for IAPT training?

Thanks for your replies :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
alexh

Re: Hi IAPT trainee position

Post by alexh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:06 am

Don't they place you in an iapt service.

Highintensity

Post by Highintensity » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 pm

It sounds like you are in an awkward position as you may pass the University hurdle but you also need to find an IAPT service that is willing to let you practice CBT. Most places around the country interview you for both an IAPT service, and the interview usually has a representative from the University course who also interviews you to see you are academically suitable, however for some reason in the West Midlands the former and latter are completely separate.

My advice is to write to all of the local IAPT services or even better, call them directly and speak to the managers and see if you can have any arrangements to work for them offering CBT - another issue is whether they have the funding to offer you a trainee position, otherwise you may not get paid and have to do it voluntarily (I assume the Uni course is paid for, or do you also have to pay for that?)

It can be done, I know someone who came from Poland and paid to do her own CBT diploma, but she had to work in secondary care offering CBT for free just to get a clinical placement - keep us updated though.

Rubedo

Post by Rubedo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi Highintensity, thank you for your detailed and helpful reply :)

I actually contacted some trusts around Birmingham, but apparently the recruitment for the clinical placement will be done on NHS jobs at a later date. Basically they told me that they want to hear only from people which already passed the interview - that is despite the fact that on the interview I am supposed to discuss my arrangement for a clinical placement....
It feels like the academic and the clinical bit are completely disconnected, but I guess that can't be helped.

On the topic of the funds, both the course and the placement are 100% paid by West Midlands NHS so I should be covered on that front.

Highintensity

Post by Highintensity » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:16 am

Your welcome, oh and if both the course and placement is funded you won't have a problem at all - I highly doubt any IAPT service would turn down a free trainee CBT Therapist for a year - yeah certainly keep a look out for Midlands and the surrounding areas. All the best for now ☺️

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:41 pm

This sounds really odd. If the NHS is funding the training, then I assume they are funding it for specific IAPT services. No?

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:29 pm

bluegoat wrote:This sounds really odd. If the NHS is funding the training, then I assume they are funding it for specific IAPT services. No?
I agree. I'm not aware of NHS funded places for the course that come without a service/placement attached unless this is something new?
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:05 am

This way of doing it sounds new to me!

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:10 pm

This does sound odd. Unless you are self-funded for the CBT diploma, have secured a university place but have to find your own placement?

Rubedo

Post by Rubedo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Basically it is my understanding from what I have gathered and what Richard Bennet - course tutor - said during the academic screening that you're basically funded for any placement as long as you work in an NHS West Midlands trust.
I think that as highintensity pointed out, West Midlands is quite different from the rest of the trusts in this regard. Will share more knowledge as soon as I gather any!

fairywings

Post by fairywings » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:03 pm

Has anyone heard back from University of Birmingham, Coventry University or Stafford University with an offer of a place on the course?