Hi IAPT application after two years AP work?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
micke

Hi IAPT application after two years AP work?

Post by micke » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi there,

I was trying to figure this one out looking at the KSA. But can you apply and successfully gain a Hi IAPT Band 6 training post with two years Assistant Psychologist experience? :D

Many thanks

Micke

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
bluegoat

Re: Hi IAPT application after two years AP work?

Post by bluegoat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:30 am

It depends on what clinical experiences your Assistant Psychologist post has provided you with, and your previous academic study. For example, qualified PWPs can successfully complete a KSA after two years, so in theory so could an Assistant Psychologist?

I have to admit though, I have never heard or met anyone who has attempted to do this.

Have you tried contacting some of the courses (as they decide which of their applicants meet the BABCP KSA criteria) and see what they say?

ClinicalWorld

Post by ClinicalWorld » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:42 pm

I know people that have got on to HI from an assistant psychologist without having completed a PWP course. However they had extensive experience of individual and group therapeutic work and they both had completed MSc's. Also to pull this off, you need fantastic references, preferably from people well known in the field

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:50 pm

I know people that have successfully got an IAPT high intensity trainee post that don't have a core profession and their previous experience includes being an assistant psychologist.

As long as you have enough experience/qualifications to meet the KSA criteria, you should be fine to apply however, if you're asking whether 2 years assistant psychologist experience alone is enough, then my guess would be no as I don't think one post has enough variety required to meet the KSA criteria and people that apply without a core profession tend to have extensive experience.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

Yellow1991

Post by Yellow1991 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi Micke,

I have had 2 AP posts and 1 Assistant Therapist post spanning about 2.5 years in total and got on to the HI training recently. I did apply through the KSA route and all my experience has been with anxiety and depression and have IAPT experience which definitely helped.

The requirements for the HI training state at least 2 years post qualification experience, so it is technically possible but it would depend on the quality of your experience and how you convey you could apply it to the post. :D