Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner and Experience

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
misshoneyz2dab

Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner and Experience

Post by misshoneyz2dab » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:54 pm

Back in 2002 I worked as a Mental Health Care Assistant for six months (I was 18 years old) I've recently done a degree in Health and Social Care and done 3 months of voluntary work as a Health Champion. When I worked as a health champion I did recommend MIND organisation for people who have psychiatric illnesses or have gone through bereavement. In 2012 I did a module in mental health by open university. I currently work as an Activities Co Ordinator in a residential home and I always do activities with an elderly woman who has mental health illness. Do I have enough experience to work as a trainee psychological wellbeing practitioner and should I apply?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
dk00112

Re: Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner and Experie

Post by dk00112 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi,

I have only just become a Trainee PWP myself, so I'm not sure I would feel comfortable in telling you whether you have enough experience yet or not. However, I am happy to share the main experiences that I had before getting the post:

- BSc (Hons) Psychology (1st), although I hadn't yet completed this when I applied/went for interview
- 4 months part-time Support Worker (during one of my summer breaks at uni)
- 1 year full-time Honorary Assistant Psychologist in Secure Services (Placement Year at uni)
- 1 year part-time (0 hours contract) Recovery Worker during the final year of my degree

Some of the skills these positions gave me were the ability to reflect and learn from experience, knowledge of good record-keeping, confidentiality, professional boundaries etc. as well as a foundation knowledge of CBT and common mental health difficulties. Other than that, one of the main things I've been told interviewers look for in Trainee PWPs is that you are a "nice person" (which you can't really be taught!).

I would also add that initially I didn't actually get the post - they had placed me on the reserve list as there were other people with more Primary Care experience than me. Luckily for me, someone dropped out - otherwise I wouldn't have obtained the position this time.

I hope that's helpful. Any questions feel free to ask! :)