Do you need to drive for all PWP posts?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
dk200300

Do you need to drive for all PWP posts?

Post by dk200300 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:39 am

Most of the ones I look at say you need to drive, which I think is really unfair. I can (luckily!) drive but do not have a car and couldn't afford one right now (including even having a parking space in London!)

Why do they require this?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
baa

Re: Do you need to drive for all PWP posts?

Post by baa » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:57 am

It depends on the location and how the service is set up. I am in a rural service and we have to trek all over the place to various bases and locations. Public transport just doesn't work around here.
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:20 pm

Exactly what Baa said -I have worked in services where the PWP's don't move from the same office all day. In others, they might be in one place one day, another the next. Personally -I've never heard of any where PWP's move around too much within the same working day, but I have a limited knowledge. Within London, the transport links are generally pretty good, so it might be less of an issue.

fairywings

Post by fairywings » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Yes it would depend on the geographical area which the service covers. I've worked in 3 different services and in each one there has been PWP's who don't drive. Managers have tried to accommodate where possible by giving them surgeries close to a train station or on a bus route however there is still the expectation that you would need to carry a box of resources with you e.g. for psycho educational groups. It maybe worth ringing the contact within the job advert and talking to them about it before you apply to see how much of a need it is for that service.

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:46 pm

I didn't need to, got the train to work, walked to the GP surgery/hospitals where my clinics were. Trains were a bit of a nightmare when being late in the mornings though!

graduateak

Post by graduateak » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:31 pm

When I was applying to IAPT trainee and qualified posts (without a driving licence) most adverts said that driving was either essential or desirable. However, I still applied to a quite a few of these posts, explaining that although I didn't drive yet I was willing to travel as required using other available means. I was very fortunate in being offered interviews and job offers for services that had specified access to a car (although I imagine a fair few ruled me out straight away). The jobs that I accepted did involve some travel, as on certain days I would be working in 2 or 3 different venues, and getting between these would have been a lot easier with a car. However, it was doable and it did show that its sometimes worth applying to these posts.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ― Albert Einstein.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 am

Like above, I would still apply as I did this. I was willing to travel and luckily my service made a point of giving me clinics close to where I lived so it worked out well.

Good luck :-)
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'