Trainee PWP - lack of support

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
enchanted

Trainee PWP - lack of support

Post by enchanted » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Current trainee PWP here.
I'm currently finding things a bit difficult and have a rather unsupportive supervisor.
I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and how they got round this?
It's causing me quite a bit of concern!
Would love to hear from you
Thanks

jlb36

Re: Trainee PWP - lack of support

Post by jlb36 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:35 am

Sorry to hear that you're finding things difficult and you're right to be concerned if it feels supervision is not supportive. Do you have a personal tutor at your university? When I was training we were assigned a personal tutor. If you're struggling discuss it with them so that they are aware of the situation and can support you (with supervision and any other difficulties you're having). They can also discuss what your options are going forward and advise on what you should be able to expect from supervision as a trainee. I would also check your course handbook and the PWP Best Practice Guide (Google it if you don't already have it). Hope that things improve soon!

myotai

Post by myotai » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Nothing will change. the PWP role has descended into an un-recognizable conduit for exploitation.

I have been doing this a while now and FINALLY have found a way out of this careered cul-de-sac.

My advice, start looking for a way out of this utterly hideous trap!

Sorry, but if you don't find out sooner you will later!

Its not even recognised by the BACP as a role worthy of being used towards accreditation for a Counselling Diploma.

Leave ASAP!!!

enchanted

Post by enchanted » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:10 pm

jlb36 wrote:Sorry to hear that you're finding things difficult and you're right to be concerned if it feels supervision is not supportive. Do you have a personal tutor at your university? When I was training we were assigned a personal tutor. If you're struggling discuss it with them so that they are aware of the situation and can support you (with supervision and any other difficulties you're having). They can also discuss what your options are going forward and advise on what you should be able to expect from supervision as a trainee. I would also check your course handbook and the PWP Best Practice Guide (Google it if you don't already have it). Hope that things improve soon!
Thank you for your response. All very good ideas to try - so will maybe think about talking to my uni tutor. My main issue is the delivery of interventions - in order to pass the course, I obviously need to be carrying it out correctly. However, my supervisor expects me to plan absolutely everything myself, and when you've not done this job before, it makes it kind of tricky. She has also made some unsupportive remarks, but I won't go into detail.
myotai wrote:Nothing will change. the PWP role has descended into an un-recognizable conduit for exploitation.

I have been doing this a while now and FINALLY have found a way out of this careered cul-de-sac.

My advice, start looking for a way out of this utterly hideous trap!

Sorry, but if you don't find out sooner you will later!

Its not even recognised by the BACP as a role worthy of being used towards accreditation for a Counselling Diploma.

Leave ASAP!!!
Interesting that you've mentioned the above - i'd be interested to hear more of why you think this. I too, feel similar. I think IAPT was a good concept that has not been executed well. As far as my experience has been so far working as a trainee PWP, it has not been good, and I personally would not recommend it. I'm hopeful that it will get better, but my current feelings are not to stay in IAPT long-term at all, which is a shame....