KSA portfolio - any advice?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Sam1987

KSA portfolio - any advice?

Post by Sam1987 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi,

I am currently putting my KSA together to hopefully start CBT training this Sept/Oct with my current service. Does anyone have any advice or tips from their own experience of this? I.e. helpful hints of what to put in sections, what they may ask at interview, etc.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D
IAPT the tiger

Ppepper25

Re: KSA portfolio - any advice?

Post by Ppepper25 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 pm

I completed mine recently for accreditation following completion of a level one course. I'm not going to lie, I found it absolutely torturous.
Tips:
1. Print the 14 criteria and just bullet point the relevant experience/training examples you could use for each one, and also a person who could counter sign/provide a reference.
2. Start a lever arch file and start putting all possible bits of 'evidence' in there, e.g. Module descriptions, cpd certificates, stat-man training record.
3. Start thinking about the 3 people you could use for a reference for the last 3 criteria (all have to be different people and ideally from different roles). If you have to complete these soon too (as some courses don't want anything more than than your statements first) start getting in touch with people and give them a heads up.
4. Start thinking of 2 clinical examples for each criteria, this is necessary and hard to do when all clients seem to merge into one!
5. Compile your actual portfolio at the end once you have EVERYTHING as you need to label evidence and list what section it appears in, etc etc and it's impossible to do if you don't yet have everything, so just keep everything in a lever arch until then.

Good luck! You'll get there. I started with the ones I thought would be most difficult so they were out the way.

Sam1987

Post by Sam1987 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:15 pm

That's great, thank you for that :)
IAPT the tiger

confuseddotcom

Post by confuseddotcom » Wed May 17, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Ppepper25

I just wanted to ask how long it took you to compile the portfolio? And it might seem like a stupid question but how important has it been, I understand you need to submit this but some people talk of their portfolio not being looked at. I wonder how well written, formal and all together it has to be before submitting.

Thanks
Ppepper25 wrote:I completed mine recently for accreditation following completion of a level one course. I'm not going to lie, I found it absolutely torturous.
Tips:
1. Print the 14 criteria and just bullet point the relevant experience/training examples you could use for each one, and also a person who could counter sign/provide a reference.
2. Start a lever arch file and start putting all possible bits of 'evidence' in there, e.g. Module descriptions, cpd certificates, stat-man training record.
3. Start thinking about the 3 people you could use for a reference for the last 3 criteria (all have to be different people and ideally from different roles). If you have to complete these soon too (as some courses don't want anything more than than your statements first) start getting in touch with people and give them a heads up.
4. Start thinking of 2 clinical examples for each criteria, this is necessary and hard to do when all clients seem to merge into one!
5. Compile your actual portfolio at the end once you have EVERYTHING as you need to label evidence and list what section it appears in, etc etc and it's impossible to do if you don't yet have everything, so just keep everything in a lever arch until then.

Good luck! You'll get there. I started with the ones I thought would be most difficult so they were out the way.

Ppepper25

Post by Ppepper25 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:05 pm

confuseddotcom wrote:Hi Ppepper25

I just wanted to ask how long it took you to compile the portfolio? And it might seem like a stupid question but how important has it been, I understand you need to submit this but some people talk of their portfolio not being looked at. I wonder how well written, formal and all together it has to be before submitting.

Thanks
Ppepper25 wrote:I completed mine recently for accreditation following completion of a level one course. I'm not going to lie, I found it absolutely torturous.
Tips:

Heyy,
I would say it took a good few weeks, around normal working hours, although I managed to do quite a bit within work.
Writing each statement took me a few hours, less if I really put my mind to it. But the time it takes to contact others to ask for references, send of bits of past colleagues to sign, calling universities for old course syllabus' etc, it all takes time.
I am waiting to hear back having sent off for accreditation about 10 weeks ago, but I heard it's all scanned in and sent to an assessor. I haven't had any queries about my KSA *touch wood* but really I'm quite in the dark as to whether it's going OK or not.

I would say overall it depends how organised you are and how much evidence you already have to hand.

Good luck with completing it.