Senior PWP post

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Sam1987

Senior PWP post

Post by Sam1987 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 am

I was wondering if anybody had any advice regarding Senior PWP posts? I am due to be interviewed within my current Trust for a senior position as my supervisor is going off on maternity leave soon. I'm due to be interviewed on May 9th and I wondered if anyone had any advice/tips? If anyone has had experience of these type of interviews and what they might ask?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)
IAPT the tiger

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
PanGirl1984

Re: Senior PWP post

Post by PanGirl1984 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi Sam. I'm currently a senior PWP. My main advice would be to approach the interview with a manager's hat on i.e. focus on things like KPIs, overcoming performance issues, delivering supervision, rather than with a PWP/ clinical hat on. (Saying that, I have never been to an IAPT interview without being asked a question regarding risk management!) And try to give examples where you have done aspects of the senior role already e.g. if you have been involved in service development. I found the senior interview tough but it's a great role. Good luck!

Sam1987

Post by Sam1987 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:14 am

Thank you Pangirl1984 :) I know what you mean regarding risk! That question is always asked. I'm trying to do a bit of research, but not a lot available online. Thank you again!
IAPT the tiger

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am

We recently have recently hired senior PWPs, some of the things they mentioned were:

- Managing own caseload as well as supervising up to 5 other PWPs
- ways of working together in their current team but also together as senior
- they were asked to problem solve on the spot some of our service issues e.g. direct access groups
- delivering CPD sessions
- managing risk especially for incoming referrals e.g. service protocols regarding chain of command
- give examples of other ideas they have put forward before now that have worked/implemented or ideas they would like to bring to the role.

Hope that helps :-)
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

alexh

Post by alexh » Mon May 01, 2017 5:55 pm

What does the senior PWP position mean for other PWPs they supervise?

PanGirl1984

Post by PanGirl1984 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:38 pm

alexh wrote:What does the senior PWP position mean for other PWPs they supervise?
In what sense?

alexh

Post by alexh » Tue May 02, 2017 8:41 pm

In any sense you are able and willing to comment on the experience.

What is it like to be supervised by a senior PWP rather than another practitioner, like a CBT therapist or clinical psychologist, especially for those who've had experience of both. What's it like to supervise others at a (presumably) junior stage of your therapeutic career?

I'm very curious about these posts, and the senior AP posts which have developed.

PanGirl1984

Post by PanGirl1984 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:23 am

As a trainee and a PWP I have always been supervised by a senior PWP. I'm talking about case management supervision, not clinical. I think that's the norm. It has a lot of advantages and when I have had other practitioners e.g. HI Therapists, step in, it wasn't as good. Seniors understand the role and the interventions in a way that other people can't.

As a senior, I have completed the IAPT supervision course at university. This covers case management and clinical supervision. However, in my service, seniors don't offer clinical. This was true in my previous service too.

Personally, I don't regard myself as being at a "junior" stage at all. I have 12 years work experience behind me, plus a an undergrad and masters, and I intend to stay in IAPT as a senior for the foreseeable future.