Recommended books for CBT/HI trainees?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
confuseddotcom

Recommended books for CBT/HI trainees?

Post by confuseddotcom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 am

Hi there,

Is there any books you would recommend for CBT trainees or therapists even? Any that are a must-read? I'd like to prepare in advance for the training course starting in October.

Many thanks,

CDC

jamesivens

Re: Recommended books for CBT/HI trainees?

Post by jamesivens » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:55 pm

I found the following really helpful:

- How to Become a More Effective CBT Therapist: Mastering Metacompetence in Clinical Practice by Adrian Whittington and Nick Grey

- Break Free from OCD by Challacombe, Oldfield/Bream and Salkovskis (and they've just released a newer version of this called Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

These would be my top picks. You'll get lots of reading through the course so wouldn't prepare much before it starts!

Sam1987

Post by Sam1987 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Assessment and Case Formulation in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy by Sarah Corrie (Author), Michael Townend (Author), Adrian Cockx (Author)

I'm interested to know also what service you'll be working for a trainee? :) best of luck with it!
IAPT the tiger

confuseddotcom

Post by confuseddotcom » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you both - some good suggestions! :) I'm having a look at the reviews as 'we speak'.

Would you say it's worth investing in these books for personal collections or to just borrow? I see some of the books are fairly expensive but I do like buying them! :)