Social work as a route into HI work?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
ThymeTeasel

Social work as a route into HI work?

Post by ThymeTeasel » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi all, have lurked for a while but this is my first time posting. My situation is basically this - I dropped out of medical school in my penultimate year and now I'm hoping to start a career in high intensity therapy. Looking back it might have been smarter to just finish the degree and then change careers, however I was really unhappy in the course and when I found out I was expecting my son it just seemed like more trouble than it was worth to complete it. I left with a degree in Medical Science (without honours, though I also have a 2.1 honours degree in English with Hisory) and am currently a stay at home parent. Having a soon to be school age child and a partner with an established career I have very little flexibility when it comes to location, so moving here and there for work or university courses just isn't possible. I have, however, seen a few graduate entry to social work programs, which are on the job training with a bursary and salary. These seem to me like a good route into IAPT work. Whilst social work does interest me for it's own sake, the working conditions seem utterly dire and so I'd only really be doing this to gain a "core profession" with a view to moving into IAPT work as soon as possible afterwards. My questions, basically, are has anyone else done this? Is it a stupid idea? And are there any better/ more logical routes? Thanks :)

jason712

Re: Social work as a route into HI work?

Post by jason712 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm no expert on this in particular however to my knowledge a social work qualification does fulfill the entry requirements to get into the training.

Shmit

Post by Shmit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:49 pm

I would look into the social work courses/training programme to see whether there's a requirement for you to work however many years within a service or as a social worker before leaving, without having to pay back any fees etc. It may also be worth bearing in mind that you'd be doing that training for however many months in (what it sounds like) something you don't particularly want to do. You can do the Low Intensity training without a core profession and then apply for the high intensity training using a portfolio of your work and experience.

But from from my knowledge, yes, you can do High Intensity training with a social work background as a core profession.

ThymeTeasel

Post by ThymeTeasel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks guys. No I don't especially want to be a social worker, nor do I really want to be a mental health nurse. I saw enough during my time as a med student to know that these are thankless, badly paid, chronically under appreciated professions, and having spent many many years working as a support worker for children with SEN I feel like I've already paid my dues in that kind of work. I've been looking at the pwp route but have been a bit confused by it. Do you think this is a realistic route without a core profession or a background/ degree in psychology? I'd love to be a high intensity therapist but am now almost 30 with a family to support so want to take the most direct route possible to get in!

jason712

Post by jason712 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 pm

I understand, and in that case to my knowledge the only other route is to do a course in low intensive CBT as mentioned above. It's a part-time course, funded by the NHS as well. Next intake is in March. I'm actually starting the same course in a few weeks.

An undergraduate degree in psychology isn't mandatory either. You should be fine going that route.

ThymeTeasel

Post by ThymeTeasel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:19 pm

That's really helpful, thanks. Sounds like that's the road to go. Good luck on the course!

jason712

Post by jason712 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 am

ThymeTeasel wrote:That's really helpful, thanks. Sounds like that's the road to go. Good luck on the course!
You're welcome. There's a lot of of useful info on the wiki section.

Thank you! I can't wait.