The Struggle in IAPT

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Dragonfly123

The Struggle in IAPT

Post by Dragonfly123 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:26 am

I've been doing PWP work for the past 3 years now and I feel like I am coming towards the end now. I am not entirely sure how others manage to stay in this role longer than few years.

I would like to find out what other PWP's gone onto doing and what other career options available for struggling PWPs other than becoming a senior.

I feel overworked, stressed, not respected and unprotected. :cry: are there any other PWP's who feel this way?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Victoriomantic

Re: The Struggle in IAPT

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Dragonfly123 wrote:I feel overworked, stressed, not respected and unprotected. :cry: are there any other PWP's who feel this way?
You are absolutely not alone. I have been a PWP for 2 years and also have been feeling this way recently. I am lucky that I have an incredible line manager, but the clinical decisions and management above her are getting more and more frustrating as time goes on.

We are generally very overworked and this obviously has a huge effect on staff morale. My team are quite close (another way in which I am lucky) and we try to talk and support each other as much as possible. We have a monthly one-hour reflective session together where we can sit quietly to think, or have space to verbally ruminate/rant, or try to problem-solve; whatever is needed at the time. Perhaps see if this is something you can try and implement in your service? We also try and lunch together when we can as well, to have a break and also to talk about strictly non-work related matters so that we can remember we are still people with individual interests and lives.

As for next steps, generally most people in my service have gone into HI training (either in NHS/IAPT or private settings), clinical/counselling psych doctorates, or look for an AP post elsewhere. Personally I'm trying for the clinical route this year.

Hang in there, and do what you can to self-care outside of work. Remember that you are only one person and so you can only do your best. Don't be afraid to raise when things are getting too much, and try not to be too harsh on yourself. As tough as that can be, remember you are fighting the good fight by working in a demanding job in the public sector for the good of others.

Sam1987

Post by Sam1987 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi Dragonfly123,

Following on from the previous post, you are definitely not alone! I felt this way when I was a pwp. I recently got onto hi intensity training after 2.5 years as a pwp. I struggled at various points during my time as a pwp. I felt at times unsupported and overworked too.

Hang in there! Majority of people I have worked with have gone onto hi intensity training, a couple have gone onto becoming assistant psychologists.
IAPT the tiger

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:21 pm

Off topic, but "IAPT the tiger", I love it! :lol:

Sam1987

Post by Sam1987 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Victoriomantic wrote:Off topic, but "IAPT the tiger", I love it! :lol:
Hahaha. Thanks! :D
IAPT the tiger