IAP Application/Personal therapy disclosure

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
roslo

IAP Application/Personal therapy disclosure

Post by roslo » Mon May 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi guys!

I want to apply for PWP course at UCL, but I believe I have very little experience/qualifications compared to some people here. Therefore, I would like to know if you guys think I have any chance/should still apply for it.

- MsC conversion Psychology
- Health and Social Care Level 3
- couple of months volunteering Victim Support
- Honorary Support worker at a CMHT from Jul-2017 to May-2018 - once a week
- Administrator CMHT - 2 years

Please let me know your thoughts on it? How could I use that for my application?

Also, someone told me it is worth disclosing your own experience with therapy (in case you have been under therapy for more than a year or so) - Is that correct? Relevant?

Thank you!

:) :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: IAP Application/Personal therapy disclosure

Post by maven » Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 pm

It seems like you have some relevant experiences and would lose nothing by applying. As to disclosing personal experience of using mental health services, we've discussed that a lot elsewhere. I don't think the length of it is very relevant compared to whether you have learned something about being a recipient that makes you a better practitioner, and whether your own issues are well enough managed or resolved that it would bring those strengths without bringing too much unhelpful resonance into the position.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare