core professions

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
theballboy

core professions

Post by theballboy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi, I am considering applying for a level 2 babcp accredited course in 2019 but am requiring some answers to the following questions.

Does one have to complete a KSA portfolio if they have a core profession?
According to the core professions list, seemingly I would meet the criteria but how could I confirm this? I have emailed BABCP
( I am a special educational needs teacher – BSc Psychology / PGCE secondary / 13 yrs + teaching experience MLD / SLD / PMLD and am currently studying a MSc Applied Psychology (mental health and psychological therapies) alongside British psychological society accredited ‘Psychological wellbeing practitioner’).
So seemingly I fall under the special needs teacher plus further psychotherapy training.
Can anyone advise or comment on how core professions are validated?

Thanks in advance

Victoriomantic

Re: core professions

Post by Victoriomantic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:54 am

I'm no expert (I'm going down the KSA route for my course that starts in October) but I believe you need evidence of a professional registration with a governing body? E.g. HCPC registration for a clin psych, NMC for nurses etc.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:53 am

It is good to check if it has changed but I also think that for the core profession criteria, it is to be registered with a governing body like Victoriomantic has said.

But if not, you definitively have enough experience for the KSA route.
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

theballboy

Post by theballboy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 pm

sorry guys just seeing these responses now as I didn't receive a notification. I understand exactly what you are saying regarding professional registration. I have emailed the accreditation department of BABCP and might follow up their reply with what I will say next. I wonder what the registration requirements are for 'special needs teacher with further psychotherapy training' I'm imagining it would be GTC registration (general teaching council as qualified teacher status) and BPS as they are the registration body for accredited PWP's.

theballboy

Post by theballboy » Mon May 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Well turns out (for anyone interested) that the babcp do not see pwp training or experience as 'further psychotherapy training' 🙄. Everything else acceptable, gtc registration, Sen qualifications. Can't get away from idea that there are just trying to make people jump through hoops for financial and protectionist gain.