Postgrad CBT course is being a support worker enough ex?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Buxey

Postgrad CBT course is being a support worker enough ex?

Post by Buxey » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:36 am

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in applying for the Postgraduate Programme in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy (IAPT) course and would like to know if my three years of experience being a support worker, helping people with mental health, learning difficulties, and overall providing mental health support is enough experience for the course?

I am aware I would have to complete a KSA application, as I do not have a core profession apart from being a support worker.

I have a upper class 2:1 psychology degree also.

Many thanks

Jack

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Postgrad CBT course is being a support worker enough ex?

Post by Geishawife » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:48 pm

I'm confused! In a post in the Psychology Degree sectin from earlier this month you state you are just starting your degree!! You cannot have obtained a degree in less than a month! So, do you have a degree or not?

Buxey

Post by Buxey » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:51 pm

this is just a hypothetical question.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:05 pm

You seem very keen to kick start your career in mental health, and possibly even a bit anxious about it. In your 'beginning the journey' thread you said that you are just beginning your degree, and that you have no relevant experience yet. The advice people gave you there is still the best, most useful advice you'll get - concentrate on the degree. :wink: I know it might not be what you want to hear, but if you can take it in and act on it, it will really help you.

I have taught a few batches of undergrads, many of whom were eager to become practitioner psychologists, and in several cases I wished they would spend less time poring over mental health careers and trying to map out career paths, and more time getting to grips with stats. Unfortunately getting to grips with stats can feel very pedestrian, and it doesn't inspire the same interest. But if students don't learn to focus on the demands of the present moment, it costs them later on. I can get quite impetuous about the things that interest me myself, and I also have a tendency to plan too far ahead, and the most beneficial thing I have done for myself and my own professional development is to try and rein myself in.

You said that you will be starting your psychology degree in February. Presumably you have a reading list? If you really want a head start, that's where to begin. I'd forget about IAPT for now, as it's not relevant to you and it's just a distraction from what you've chosen to do right now.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:28 am

I agree 100% with Lingua. FOCUS ON THE HERE AND NOW!! Any number of changes could take place in the next few years (in you, in IAPT, in the selection criteria, etc) and advice given now is irrelevant to then! You really are better off forgetting "what next" and focusing on the only thing you can control - the present!

Buxey

Post by Buxey » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:23 am

you all sound like my mum, but you are all absolutely right haha!

thanks guys.