Did the training but never went on to work as a PWP

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Mephistofela

Did the training but never went on to work as a PWP

Post by Mephistofela » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Hello everyone,

I did the Low-Intensity CBT training (along with placement) required to work as a PWP as part of my undergraduate degree (finished 3 years ago), but after graduating I never went on to work as a PWP. The nature of my course was that we covered all the theoretical bases and did all the placement necessary for the course to be accredited by the BABCP, but in order to get the full registration with them you needed to undertake further supervised CBT work afterwards as a PWP.

I went into a different line of work after graduating, in the third sector, so I never obtained the full BABCP accreditation - would this affect the way in which this training is seen by employers in the future? So far I haven't had any problems but if I wanted to apply for a PWP position in the future would it be an issue that I did not go on to work as a PWP immediately after I finished the training? Perhaps it's worth noting that the training was part of my undergraduate course that I paid for and was not funded by the NHS, so there was no contractual obligation to work in the NHS afterwards and no fixed-term contract or anything like that was offered after I graduated.

Thank you for your help! :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
MindfulPsych

Re: Did the training but never went on to work as a PWP

Post by MindfulPsych » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:57 pm

Mephistofela wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:50 pm
Hello everyone,

I did the Low-Intensity CBT training (along with placement) required to work as a PWP as part of my undergraduate degree (finished 3 years ago), but after graduating I never went on to work as a PWP. The nature of my course was that we covered all the theoretical bases and did all the placement necessary for the course to be accredited by the BABCP, but in order to get the full registration with them you needed to undertake further supervised CBT work afterwards as a PWP.

I went into a different line of work after graduating, in the third sector, so I never obtained the full BABCP accreditation - would this affect the way in which this training is seen by employers in the future? So far I haven't had any problems but if I wanted to apply for a PWP position in the future would it be an issue that I did not go on to work as a PWP immediately after I finished the training? Perhaps it's worth noting that the training was part of my undergraduate course that I paid for and was not funded by the NHS, so there was no contractual obligation to work in the NHS afterwards and no fixed-term contract or anything like that was offered after I graduated.

Thank you for your help! :D
Hi there,

The PWP training now in most situations is not accredited by BABCP (I believe unless it's changed back recently). So actually it wouldn't affect whether you choose to go back and work as a PWP. It might be worth brushing up on your clinical skills and NICE guidelines to make sure you're still going to deliver low intensity CBT interventions as things can change.

Hope that helps and good luck with what you choose to do :)

Mephistofela

Re: Did the training but never went on to work as a PWP

Post by Mephistofela » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Hello MindfulPsych,

You are right, I got confused! - It is BAP accredited, not BABCP. That is very helpful, thank you for clarifying :)