High intensity training but still doing PWP work?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Henbri

High intensity training but still doing PWP work?

Post by Henbri » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi all,

I’ve recently been successful in acquiring a trainee HIT position with my current employer. However, it looks as though they wish for me to continue step 2 work for the time being outside of the small amount of CBT cases I will be taking on and the training days.

I am unfamiliar with the structure of HIT courses, or whether this is normal. My worry is that it will interfere with how much I will be able to commit to the course or affect how much time I have to dedicate to learning CBT (e.g. through shadowing etc).

Does anyone else have an experience with this?

Thank you

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
LookingAhead

Re: High intensity training but still doing PWP work?

Post by LookingAhead » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:37 pm

Hey I was wondering whether you have a postgraduate qualifications to apply for the HIT role.

Victoriomantic

Re: High intensity training but still doing PWP work?

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:19 pm

@Henbri - Congratulations on the post! I hope you enjoy training. Regarding what is normal, it probably depends on your course / service area, so I would recommend you ask others in your cohort. I trained in London, and quite a few of my fellow trainees were also in services that wanted them to do Step 2 work, specifically telephone triages. However, they did push back against that (possibly with their course supervisors' support?) because our contracts were specifically HI, not HI plus Step 2, as that's what we were being paid / funded to do. So I would check your contract. However they could argue it comes under the "any other duties" clause or similar. It is possible to do some Step 2 work, but your focus should be 100% on your S3 training cases and your course days. Personally I would recommend not doing S2 if possible, because you'll need some of the spare time in the working day for doing reading of protocols / journals / treatment evidence base etc.

@LookingAhead - You do not need a PG qualification to apply. As with anything else, that might help but it's not necessary. The only thing it might affect is whether you do a KSA or not. But even PWPs with a PGCert have to do a KSA portfolio -- everyone does unless they are already in a core profession (e.g. Clinical / Counselling Psychologist / MH nurse etc.).