HI interview invitation but do I have the experience?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Abswb3

HI interview invitation but do I have the experience?

Post by Abswb3 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Hi all
I am a qualified OT and have worked in a secure hospital for 3 years since I qualified. As an OT I have very minimal experience in delivering CBT aside from working with CBT therapist's in joint sessions and delivering groups with CBT-recovery/keeping well group. There is a little crossover in our roles and we implement CBT techniques during sessions with patients. However in terms of CBT formulations and models of CBT my knowledge is limited!
I have been invited to interview in a few weeks and plan to spend them three weeks cramming in as much information as I can. I'll speak to colleagues too for some advice but so far I haven't told anyone I've been applying for this position. The first part of the day is a morning of group assessments, then if successful an interview. I'm not looking for specific questions but more advice on how I can best prepare and advice on whether I'm completely out of my depth!
I have a fairly good understanding of CBT working with them closely in my current role, and have also had a course of CBT myself a few years ago. This is something I really really want to do and I'm definitely committed to putting in the work-under no illusion how challenging this will be!
Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: HI interview invitation but do I have the experience?

Post by maven » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:55 pm

If they have offered you an interview the obviously think it possible you can do the job, but be honest about the limits to your current knowledge and express willingness to learn rather than trying to cram and then blag as if your experience is more extensive than it is.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Abswb3

Post by Abswb3 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reply! Yes good advice I agree it's better to be honest than blag it and be in over my head.
The interview involves group assessments in the morning, do you know any examoles if why this might involve? I'm not looking for answers I just want an idea of what to expect more to ease my anxieties as I don't know anyone who has been for an interview in this job to ask for info. Also do you have any tips on general things to read up on for interview questions if I make it that far!
Thanks

Abswb3

Post by Abswb3 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:43 pm

Sorry I've just seen a thread on presentations etc. In the interview forum. I understand there's probably loads of people who ask the same questions so I'll have a look at advice already given on there :) thanks again for your input