Questions about PWP

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
danuutka

Questions about PWP

Post by danuutka » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:03 pm

Hello! I am new to this forum, so excuse me if I don't know some of the lingo etc. I am an aspiring clinical psychologist, looking into different ways to get there.

I am currently in my final year of my BSc Psychology (Industrial) course, on track for a 1st. Last year, I completed a year working essentially as an honorary assistant psychologist (but can't call it that because I didn't have as much direct clinical contact) in an inpatient CAMHS unit. Between my first and second year I also volunteered for around a year as a youth worker, where I worked in a drop-in offering emotional support to vulnerable people aged 13-25. I am also looking for some volunteering opportunities within my university currently.

Bearing all that in mind, would it be possible for me to apply for a trainee PWP position which commences after July 2020, prior to graduating? What I mean is, do I have to wait until I have graduated fully from university before I start sending in applications for the trainee scheme? I am just asking because I would like some job security, and as none of the courses are anywhere near my home town, I would most likely have to move, so there is a lot of planning involved. Furthermore, based on my experience, would I even have a chance at getting in, or am I being way too ambitious trying to get onto the course fresh out of university?

I would appreciate any words of wisdom/advice. I have messaged some existing PWPs and IAPT services, however the information they gave me was very vague and quite confusing. :)

LookingAhead

Re: Questions about PWP

Post by LookingAhead » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Hey,

I would recommend you start applying for PWP role once you’ve graduated. Ideally qualified PWP usually go through BABCP accredited course so that they are equipped with knowledge to work within the IAPT service.

I basically did my undergraduate with no prior work experience and qualified as a PWP because my undergraduate course was tailored around building knowledge, skills and ability to manage anxiety and depression at low intensity based on CBT techniques.

By third year I did a work placement as a trainee PWP to meet the adequate number of clinical contact to then qualify as a PWP.

maven
Site Admin

Re: Questions about PWP

Post by maven » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:09 am

danuutka wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:03 pm
I completed a year working essentially as an honorary assistant psychologist (but can't call it that because I didn't have as much direct clinical contact) in an inpatient CAMHS unit.
Just to be a pedant, but an AP post is not defined by the level of clinical contact. It is defined by the job title, and normally the job title is only given to candidates with GBC and direct supervision from a practitioner psychologist.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare