UCL PWP applications

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
suuzee

UCL PWP applications

Post by suuzee » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:30 pm

I'm not sure if it is best to post here or in the applications thread but here goes.

I am looking into applying to the PWP at UCL this April and wondered if anyone could recall the rough word count/or any restrictions on personal statement? I can't find this information anywhere and just want to be prepared.

I would appreciate any advice or information.

Stars444

Re: UCL PWP applications

Post by Stars444 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:57 pm

suuzee wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:30 pm
I'm not sure if it is best to post here or in the applications thread but here goes.

I am looking into applying to the PWP at UCL this April and wondered if anyone could recall the rough word count/or any restrictions on personal statement? I can't find this information anywhere and just want to be prepared.

Hi suuzee,

like you I'm also preparing my statement for UCL trainee PWP position :) I think there will be a character restriction but not sure how many characters it will be. When do you think they will open the applications? I was told April onwards...but wondering if Covid-19 will affect the recruitment process?

Stars444

Post by Stars444 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:40 pm

suuzee wrote:

Another member on this site has said UCL offer 3000 characters for the trainee PWP personal statement :)

suuzee

Post by suuzee » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am

Stars444 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:57 pm
suuzee wrote:

Hi suuzee,

like you I'm also preparing my statement for UCL trainee PWP position :) I think there will be a character restriction but not sure how many characters it will be. When do you think they will open the applications? I was told April onwards...but wondering if Covid-19 will affect the recruitment process?
Yes I presumed there would be a restriction but can't find anything on this. I think COVID19 has had an effect as I emailed UCL a couple of times to see if the applications were still opening and haven't heard back as of yet

suuzee

Post by suuzee » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am

Stars444 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:40 pm
suuzee wrote:

Another member on this site has said UCL offer 3000 characters for the trainee PWP personal statement :)
Ah Awesome, thanks for sharing! :)

Stars444

Post by Stars444 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:15 am

suuzee wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am
Stars444 wrote:
suuzee wrote:

Yes, I emailed too and haven't heard anything either. Will share if I do! Apparently, the personal statement should be 3000 characters including spaces. Is this your first time applying?

suuzee

Post by suuzee » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Stars444 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:15 am
suuzee wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am
Stars444 wrote:

Yes, I emailed too and haven't heard anything either. Will share if I do! Apparently, the personal statement should be 3000 characters including spaces. Is this your first time applying?
I just got this response from their team

'We are expecting to proceed with recruitment to this programme as planned but please be aware that the dates may change at short notice. This will be for intakes to start in autumn 2020. Currently we expect applications can be made in the first half of May for about a two week period only. It will not be possible to submit application outside of this window (the programme is not currently accepting applications).

Interviews will likely be in the first half of July.

The best advice we can provide is that you keep checking our websites for updates. As soon as we have dates confirmed we will publish these on there:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stude ... ns-pg-cert
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/study/master ... ertificate

We also advise applicants read the recruitment pack before applying as this provides essential information on the process and can be accessed at the following: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/sites/pals/f ... 8_v1.4.pdf"

Yes, this is my first time applying for PWP, have you applied before?
Gosh! 3000 characters... I have a lot of cutting down on my characters! Is that definitely pwp and not the Doctorate?

Stars444

Post by Stars444 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:59 pm

Thank you very much for sharing that. I got the same email :)

Same, first time too. Haha so do I! But I may be wrong, I only discovered it was 3000 characters through reading the posts on this forum

Stars444

Post by Stars444 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm wondering if any previous applicants are aware of the employment section of the UCL application for trainee PWP?

Do we have to include our full employment history or only most recent positions which relate to the role?

Thank you.

bethclydesdale

Post by bethclydesdale » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:43 pm

I'm not a previous applicant, this will be my first time applying! The UCL PWP Application Pack says "Please do not upload a CV, instead, please complete the ‘Current or most recent employment’ sections as directed on the application form. If you have formal volunteer experience that is relevant to this role then please detail this in the Employment section." - Hope this helps!

Stars444

Post by Stars444 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:54 am

bethclydesdale wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:43 pm
I'm not a previous applicant, this will be my first time applying! The UCL PWP Application Pack says "Please do not upload a CV, instead, please complete the ‘Current or most recent employment’ sections as directed on the application form. If you have formal volunteer experience that is relevant to this role then please detail this in the Employment section." - Hope this helps!
Thank you Beth clydesdale :)

nm2277

Post by nm2277 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:09 am

Hi, is it still okay to apply for the UCL PWP September intake if I do not officially graduate until June? I am waiting on one final grade but I am on track to get a first so I hope it will be okay?

Just to clarify, before it's mentioned I need experience, I did a placement year working with PWPs and clinical psychologists and also have almost two years of experience as a support worker/healthcare assistant

suuzee

Post by suuzee » Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 am

nm2277 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:09 am
Hi, is it still okay to apply for the UCL PWP September intake if I do not officially graduate until June? I am waiting on one final grade but I am on track to get a first so I hope it will be okay?

Just to clarify, before it's mentioned I need experience, I did a placement year working with PWPs and clinical psychologists and also have almost two years of experience as a support worker/healthcare assistant

Hmm, it doesn't say whether or not this is ok. I would just go for it as there is no fee to apply. You can always try again for the Jan intake if they need to wait until you have graduated?

nm2277

Post by nm2277 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:25 pm

suuzee wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 am
nm2277 wrote:

Hmm, it doesn't say whether or not this is ok. I would just go for it as there is no fee to apply. You can always try again for the Jan intake if they need to wait until you have graduated?
Yeah, I was thinking that! just wanted to check in case anyone knew for certain, but thank you for the encouragement :)

Stars444

Post by Stars444 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:17 am

nm2277 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:25 pm
suuzee wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 am
nm2277 wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking that! just wanted to check in case anyone knew for certain, but thank you for the encouragement :)
Hi nm2277,

I asked UCL's PWP admissions team this question earlier on this year and they said yes it is ok as long as you have 6months experience. I think that's why they allow us to upload a 'blank document' when applying.

Today is the last day of the applications being open. Here's to the waiting :)

Good luck!