IAPT References for the DClinPsy

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
robininthewind

IAPT References for the DClinPsy

Post by robininthewind » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi there,

Apologies if this is a daft question. When I worked in IAPT as an honorary assistant, I asked my line manager (a lead PWP) if I could put her down as a reference for subsequent applications. She said yes but also warned me that they have a policy where they can only give factual references and not character references (i.e., they can only confirm that I worked the job, but not what I was like). I don't know if this is an IAPT policy or Trust policy - I think probably IAPT due to my other experiences in other teams.

I'm graduating next year and seriously considering applying straight for an IAPT training course. My ultimate goal is to get onto the Doctorate and I would hope to still be working in IAPT as I apply for that DClinPsy. My concern is that I would be unable to get a clinical reference from my IAPT work due to this factual reference only policy. I guess I'm simply asking whether this is an issue or whether I am mistaken. I'd also appreciate any thoughts on whether my possible career path is sensible or not.

Thank you :)

Mephistofela

Re: IAPT References for the DClinPsy

Post by Mephistofela » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:01 pm

I think that not being able to have a more individualised reference could be a problem for the dclin because the application also involves providing a clinical reference (current supervisor preferred) who can comment on various skills that are relevant for the trainee CP position. I have heard of people who got on the doctorate straight from IAPT posts though, so it's possible that there is a way around this.

jason712

Post by jason712 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:33 pm

I had this problem. It was service policy, I spoke with HR and they made an exception for my line manager to provide a reference. Might be worth contacting your HR department and explaining the situation.

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:21 pm

I think it may be trust specific. My clinical reference for the doctorate was from my iapt service clinical team lead (not a clinical psychologist) so it certainly is possible. As Jason712 suggests would be worth having a word with HR (and also your potential referee)

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:23 am

Robininthewind, I think you need to wind back a bit. You said you are about to enter your final year as a psychology undergrad. You don't need to be worrying about whether in three years time a theoretical IAPT post that you may or may not get will give a generic reference for training you may or may not apply for. Enjoy where you are now. You don't have to anticipate every possible eventuality.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

robininthewind

Post by robininthewind » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:39 am

maven wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:23 am
Robininthewind, I think you need to wind back a bit. You said you are about to enter your final year as a psychology undergrad. You don't need to be worrying about whether in three years time a theoretical IAPT post that you may or may not get will give a generic reference for training you may or may not apply for. Enjoy where you are now. You don't have to anticipate every possible eventuality.
Hi Maven,

Thank you for saying that - I definitely see your point. Some of these posts were done in a flurry of anxiety and later in time I realised that trying to plan every possible path is just mind boggling complex. I have also found the other posts helpful and will note to enquire with HR if this ever comes up in the future, but yeah, I should be closing down on this plan plan plan mentality...