How long at Uni? (Low Intensity)

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
the-bengologist

How long at Uni? (Low Intensity)

Post by the-bengologist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi All,

Will be starting the LI PGcertificate in October, I was just wondering how long the course lasts for and how soon after finishing the course do you qualify as a PWP?

My Offer letter states it is in March 2012, however I didn't think it would be that long since surely the course isn't for more than a year, so perhaps October 2011?

Thanks to anyone in advance for clearing this up for me.

baa

Post by baa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Depends on the exam boards of the uni. I started my course in October 08, finished it in July 09? But don't think I got the final certificate through til Jan 10 which is when I got my rebanding. So although I had finished and had provisional marks back in under a year - it takes longer because of the external markers who meet every few months or longer.

Actually I don't think any of those dates are right. Exam boards! Ask your uni. That bit is right.
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

jamesivens

Post by jamesivens » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:13 pm

it will probably be slightly different for each uni but at UCL we started in Sept 09 and just finished the course in July 10. All the marks need to be moderated so probs be a qualified PWP in Sept.

So expect to qualify one year from the start date

PsychBrainiac

Post by PsychBrainiac » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:05 pm

We at Surrey started Oct 09 and finished June 10. We receive final marks end of the Sept when we are supposed to increase to Band 5. I think final certification is Apr 11 though.

the-bengologist

Post by the-bengologist » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks all, yep it seems to differ with different places. How is the course anyway, considering you have to do one day per week at uni... how much of your evenings does this take up?

PsychBrainiac

Post by PsychBrainiac » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:53 am

the-bengologist wrote:Thanks all, yep it seems to differ with different places. How is the course anyway, considering you have to do one day per week at uni... how much of your evenings does this take up?
I found towards the end of the course, most Sundays were taken up to complete the courseworks; however for the rest of the course, teh work was completed in study days at home when we didn't have contact hours at Uni for that week.