clinician's avoidance of bringing up sensitive topics

Post here to discuss evaluating published research, sharing papers you have found of interest, plus requests for help with literature searches or locating papers
MessalinaV

clinician's avoidance of bringing up sensitive topics

Post by MessalinaV » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi

I'm trying to do a literature search on clinician's avoidance of bringing up sensitive topics with clients, but cannot think of search terms that will get me to what I want: avoidance of discussing details of the clients childhood sexual abuse, avoidance of talking about trauma in detail, avoidance of talking about a clients offense (rape/murder), avoidance of doing exposure with clients. I'm trying to cover any mental health professional, at any stage of their career, who is avoiding certain topics or techniques due to fear of causing anxiety/upset to the client. I'd be grateful for any leads.
I already have Becker, C., Zayfert, C., and Anderson,E., 2004, and Dickson-Swift, V., James, E.L., Kippen, S., Liampputtong, P., 2006, but more would be great! Thanks!

anna88

Re: clinician's avoidance of bringing up sensitive topics

Post by anna88 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Hiya.

John Read sprung to mind when I read this. I don't have a long list of references but this paper talks a bit about what you described and has references that may lead you further in the direction you want!

Why, when and how to ask about childhood abuse. John Read , Paul Hammersley , Thom Rudegeair

http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/13/2/101

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:40 pm

Have you looked at the keywords or MeSH terms used by the papers you have?

The search function on this page is useful too in coming up with additional terms - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/MBrowser.html
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

MessalinaV

Post by MessalinaV » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Thank you very much, anna and Will.

I've got quite a few now. Now what I'm looking for is references on the avoidence of talking with forensic patients about their index crimes. Any other suggestions? :)