Generalisation in Autism

Post here to discuss evaluating published research, sharing papers you have found of interest, plus requests for help with literature searches or locating papers
Alexander

Generalisation in Autism

Post by Alexander » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:22 pm

I am looking for a reference to support a comment made by a psychologist colleague that people with autism can find it difficult to generalise new learning to novel contexts. I have been searching for a while now and I have seen the above mentioned many times, but never with a reference. I would be indebted if anyone could point me in its direction. :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Amina

Re: Generalisation in Autism

Post by Amina » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 pm

When I first read this it made me think of the DSM-5 criteria of 'Inflexibility of behavior, difficulty coping with change, or other restricted/repetitive behaviors appear frequently enough to be obvious to the casual observer and interfere with functioning in  a variety of contexts. Distress and/or difficulty changing focus or action.' But I suppose also the possible difficulties in adjusting according to social context, hyper/hyposensitivity etc. I.e. if you learn a new self-care, social or cognitive skill in one environment, it may still be very difficult to then integrate that into another context where you may already have a specific routine (and changing this may cause you anxiety) or which may have less structure or less 'cues' about how and when the new skill should be used, or where trying to use the skill will expose you to too much stimulation/quiet/uncertainty.

I don't think that has in any way answered your question, but hopefully someone else will provide more clarity!!

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks for your reply. I have found a paper that I think might give me some leads, but I cannot access it. The paper is freely available on Researchgate.net but I do not yet have an account and am 280th (!) in the account creation queue. If anyone has access to this paper at source or on researchgate, would they mind sharing it with me? The paper is Learning, plasticity, and atypical generalization in children with autism.

Amina

Post by Amina » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:21 am

Actually I do!! I can't send it until later in the day though as am on my mobile (brick) and it won't let me do anything exciting!! Pm me your email if you like and if no-one else can get it to you more quickly, I'll send it later!!

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks Amina. I've sent you a PM.