Article urgently needed please!Help!!

Post here to discuss evaluating published research, sharing papers you have found of interest, plus requests for help with literature searches or locating papers
bisty

Article urgently needed please!Help!!

Post by bisty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any research/jornal articles that discusses gender differences in alcohol misuse.

I hav found quite a few that mention that males have higher needs in terms of alcohol abuse than females.

But need 1 which says the opposite, i.e. that females/female offenders have higher needs in terms of alcohol misuse than their male counterparts.

Des any1 know of 1? Im finding this really hard and have seemed to hit a brick wall.
I would really appreciate this!

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:34 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean. You shouldn't get the research to say what you want it to say - what makes you think that female offenders have higher alcohol abuse needs than males?

bisty

Post by bisty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi Ruthie,

No sorry about that, i did not explain myself fully. I should have said that i have come across articles before, but can not find them now that i need them!

I do have 1, which specifies that female probationers have higher needs in terms of alcohol misuse than males;

Deehan (2002). Alcohol and crime: Taking stock. London: Home Office.

However,due to its size and layout, i found it very hard to critically analysise it. So am looking for others now...

Tangram

Post by Tangram » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:25 pm

As usual, I haven't read these sorry!

Gender differences among prisoners in drug treatment
Journal of Substance Abuse
Volume 13, Issue 3, October 2001, Pages 291-301
Langan & Pelissier

Drug Abuse and Incarcerated Women, A Research Review.
Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, Volume 15, Issue 6, Pages 579-587
D. Henderson

Have you looked for anything in the Corston report? I read this a long time ago so can't remember but it covers mental health needs of women in prison so might include alcohol

bisty

Thanks Tangram again!

Post by bisty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Thanks Tangram again for getting back to me. You are really helpful. I hope 1 day i'll be able to help you out in return!

Can i just ask you about that Coriston report you mentioned, how would i get my hands on that? Its worth a look.

Thanks for being so obliging, i appreciate it.

bisty

Found it on the Home Office website!

Post by bisty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Sorry for annoying you Tangram, just letting ya know that i have found the report and gonna have a look at it now. Thanks though for your help!

Tangram

Post by Tangram » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:46 pm

No worries, I was going to say it's online you have found it! If it doesn't have alcohol issues it in then it covers quite a bit so you might find it useful in the future as well

bisty

Thanks for this!

Post by bisty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Yes, i think it will be useful though as im doing a review on mental health needs as well so im gonna try fit this in. Thanks so much for your help Tangram.