Article request again please help

Post here to discuss evaluating published research, sharing papers you have found of interest, plus requests for help with literature searches or locating papers
willow

Article request again please help

Post by willow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:12 am

Hi
has anybody got access to the article below.We are looking to evaluate a carers group in early intervention and this measure seems perfect, but my acces to the journal only runs from 1998.
It would be great if anyone could help me get access or suggest a usful alternative.
cheers
clare

Title: Caring for relatives with serious mental illness: The development of the experience of caregiving inventory

Author(s): Szmukler GI, Burgess P, Herrman H, Benson A, Colusa S, Bloch S

Source: SOCIAL PSYCHIATRY AND PSYCHIATRIC EPIDEMIOLOGY 31 (3-4): 137-148 JUN 1996 Document Type: Article

escapee

Post by escapee » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:22 am

I have this :)

Pm me your e-mail and Ill send it on. :)

willow

Post by willow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:44 am

Thank you I have PMed you my email
thanks again
clare

willow

Post by willow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:43 am

Hi sorry to be a pain again but has anybody got the actual measure from the paper The Experience of Caregiving Inventery so I can see how it is set out, the paper is not very clear on it.
clare

escapee

Post by escapee » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:51 am

I think that the items on page 5 & 6 are the scale, they just need reshuffling so the numbers are consecutive.

And the the carers are given the option about how often the items were 'thought about'; 'often' or 'always'.

willow

Post by willow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:46 pm

I was unsure wheter they were only given two options or wheather there were more, I think I am just geting myself confused.
cheers
clare

escapee

Post by escapee » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:51 pm

Yes that's true - you'd think there would be a never option?!

Yes you're right:
Experience of Caregiving Inventory (ECI) (Szmukler et al, 1996)
This is a 66-item self-report questionnaire which measures caregivers' appraisal of the caregiving experience. Items are scored on a 5-point Likert scale. The main measures are negative and positive aspects of caregiving. Negative aspects (caregiver distress) are negative symptoms, stigma, effects on family, the need to provide backup, dependency, problems with services, difficult behaviours and loss. The positive aspects (caregiver rewards) are positive personal experiences and good aspects of the relationship.

escapee

Post by escapee » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:02 pm

I found this:

Experience of Caregiving Inventory (ECI; Szmukler et al, 1996). This is a 66-item instrument that assesses the subjective experience of caregiving in eight areas (difficult behaviour, negative symptoms, stigma, problems with services, effects on the family, need to provide back-up, dependency and loss), together with two areas of positive experiences of caring (positive personal experiences and positive aspects of the relationship). The questionnaire measures how often carers have thought about each issue during the past month before interview (on a rating scale where 0=never, 1=rarely, 2=sometimes, 3=often and 4=nearly always).

here: http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/188/2/173

Does that help?

willow

Post by willow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:24 pm

cheers for that, I understand now
clare