overseas trained clinical psychologist - HPC registration

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Magdalena1

Re: overseas trained clinical psychologist - HPC registratio

Post by Magdalena1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:01 am

Hi there,

I am new to the forum but I have been following some of the threads here and found them extremely interesting and helpful.

I have qualified as a Clinical Psychologist in Poland and completed a number of therapeutic qualifications in the UK. Up to date I have been working as an assistant psychologist and therapist but last October submitted my application for the HCPC registration via international route. Last Friday, I have been notified (after 6 months of waiting with a great anticipation) that my qualifications/training and professional experience have been recognized and I could now be registered. Understandably I have quickly paid the registration fee and my name is now on the HCPC Register as a Clinical Psychologist! So pleased with myself as I was led to believe that I would be now okay to apply for qualified posts... But could I really?

The Clinical Psychology qualification is a five years Masters degree therefore different to a British standard '3+3' model of an undergraduate + doctorate degree. Therefore I don't have a Doctorate title.

Will/Could this prevent me from applying for qualified posts? If I wish to work towards a doctorate title being already HCPC registered how do I go about that?

I have asked HCPC that question but they were unable to answer sending me to the BPS. BPS was not able to answer this questions either! I intend to approach them again. I feel disappointed and hardhearted to say the least.

Any comment/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

astra

Post by astra » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi Magdalena
I think there are still some psychologists practicing who trained before the Doctorate was a requirement in the UK, so you probably can apply for qualified jobs. As long as the HCPC have registered you, that should suffice. It would be up to the recruiting employer to decide whether they wanted to employ you though. I guess the only way of getting a doctorate in your position would be to either do a PhD or apply to the DClin, which is probably not what you wanted to hear! I have no experience of anyone being in your position though, so don't take my word as gospel.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :) As astra said, given that you are HCPC registered it's well worth a shot and seeing how you get on!
astra wrote:I guess the only way of getting a doctorate in your position would be to either do a PhD or apply to the DClin, which is probably not what you wanted to hear! I have no experience of anyone being in your position though, so don't take my word as gospel.
Hmm, does the top-up doctorate pathway no longer exist, or is that only for people who qualified before the DClin was introduced?

Anyway - good luck! (:
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:55 am

Hi Magdalena,

As Astra said you've now been registered with the HCPC as a clinical (practitioner) psychologist in the UK, so you can apply for qualified jobs. There is no requirement that you have the Dr title to do CP jobs in the UK, it is just that our system gives them on qualification, but there are plenty of non-UK CP's working in the UK without the Dr title, congratulations and good luck job hunting :)

As for working towards the title,I suspect as others have said you would need to either do the full doctorate, which wouldn't be worth it for you, or complete a PhD.. which would give you the Dr title for a different qualification but you would also be a registered CP.. I think the top up programme that Mark mentions in the UK has now closed and I'm not sure how that would have worked with international applicants anyway.

To be honest my personal advice would be don't get hung up on titles.. enjoy praciticing and building your career as a CP.. lots of us barely use the title anyway! :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

astra

Post by astra » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:58 am

It might MarkM, I think that was what I was thinking of when I wrote PhD above! The top-up doctorate basically was a PhD style thesis but I'm not sure how long it had to be, or in fact whether it's still available! People used to do them alongside full time jobs so they obviously weren't as full on as some PhDs. I wonder if the BPS website has any info...
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Looks like there might still be a few top up doctorates knocking around, for example:

http://www.tees.ac.uk/postgraduate_cour ... op-up).cfm
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Not sure how helpful but the clinical psychologist in my team is not a Dr and is UK trained!

cp2020

Re: overseas trained clinical psychologist - HPC registration

Post by cp2020 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:10 pm

I am thoroughly confused...doesn't HCPC registration require a doctorate? Unless it has been changed since these posts (?) The HCPC website lists: Standards of education and training Level of qualification for entry to the Register: Professional doctorate for clinical psychologists. Professional doctorate, or equivalent for: counselling psychologists; and educational psychologists

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:38 pm

I am thoroughly confused...doesn't HCPC registration require a doctorate? Unless it has been changed since these posts (?) The HCPC website lists: Standards of education and training Level of qualification for entry to the Register: Professional doctorate for clinical psychologists. Professional doctorate, or equivalent for: counselling psychologists; and educational psychologists
Yes, technically the HCPC standards for practitioner psychologists is set at doctoral level. However, there are psychologists who have been around since before the advent of the DClinpsy in the 1990s who have been 'grandfathered' in who will not have doctorates. There may also be some internationally trained psychologists who meet the academic and clinical competencies set by the HCPC for practitioner status but may not have a doctoral degree, which is why they use the term "or equivalent".
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

cp2020

Post by cp2020 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:17 am

OK thanks for clarifying.