honourary AP tips

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
bright_red

honourary AP tips

Post by bright_red » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi.

I am starting a new post as an honourary assistant psychologist in a community brain injury service.
I wondered if anyone could give me any tips for working as an honourary AP in general and how to get the most out of the placement, anything to be aware of etc.
Does anyone else work in a similar setting if so any tips for the setting in general. Reading references. anything really!

Cheers!

captain artichoke

Re: honourary AP tips

Post by captain artichoke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:25 am

Hey,

Congrats on getting such a useful post. I did a placement in a community brain injury service and I found the experience really interesting. I found Psychotherapy after Brain Injury by P. Klonoff a really interesting read for introducing some of the challenges people can face following a brain injury and Clinical Neuropsychology by Goldstein and McNeil helpful for the neuropsych stuff. I personally found all the stuff about identity really interesting, in the context of all the changes which can occur post-injury (for example, changes in personality).

As an honorary assistant I would imagine gaining any experience you can in neuropsychological assessment would be really good - if you weren't able to actually 'administer' the assessments you can still gain useful experience in interpreting them and learning how the results from them can help inform a holistic understanding of the person's experience and guide any intervention. Gaining experience in working in an MDT (so shadowing everyone who will let you and attending any meetings). Maybe cognitive rehab work (the Brain Injury Workbook by Powell and Malia outlines lots).

I would also consider keeping a reflective journal - always useful. Plus if there are any services run locally by Headway they might be good to tap into.

It really depends on how much direct clinical work you'll be able to do in an honorary post, but I would say the main thing would be to stay open-minded about the opportunities you are presented with, rather than being gutted if they're not all direct clinical work.

Good luck with it. :)