How soon is too soon to leave?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
sophie08

How soon is too soon to leave?

Post by sophie08 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma at the moment; I'm in a good job (good on paper that is), and have only been in it for a few months, but I'm not at all happy there. The work itself isn't particularly interesting or challenging, but more importantly, my boss seems to be out of her depth and is making my life hell on a daily basis.

I'm toying with the idea of leaving at the 6 month mark, because I don't see myself being able to put up with the conditions much longer than that. However, I'm worried that firstly I'll miss out on experience that I would get if I stayed longer, and secondly, that it'll look bad on future applications. I know there are some fixed term contracts for 6 months and thought that job/doctorate selection panels might assume the job was just fixed term and that's why I would only have been in the job 6 months, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Any advice please?

Loula

Re: How soon is too soon to leave?

Post by Loula » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:14 pm

What is the post? Would you make sure you had another job lined up before you left before you moved on?

I had two consecutive short term posts after I graduated- one was as a support worker for an non-NHS organisation which I did for 3 months, and then next was a Research Assistant for a uni. I have never been asked about why I left either of these jobs so soon, although on NHS jobs it does have reason for leaving and I justify the first one under the career development umbrella (reality: I hated the job) and the second one was a very short-term contract (with no possibility it was ever going to be extended- and 2 years on I worked with the same department again so it wasn't that they didn't like me!). Neither of these short posts have ever been questionned including during my applications for training and I was offered interviews both years I applied (and was succesful last year). So I wouldn't worry about it- lots of people only stay in posts 6 months and I don't think a selector would bat an eyelid at it, especially if you move to a different post as that will make it look like you were looking for different experience.

sophie08

Post by sophie08 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:18 pm

It's a Research Assistant job. I wouldn't be moving onto another job if I left, as I'll be in the middle of an MSc anyway, so I could say that I left to focus on that. But that's reassuring to know thank you.

spetharoo

Post by spetharoo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:18 am

Yep, I would say similar, it's more about the quality of your posts and what you're learning from it, and my guess would be that if you'res struggling to enjoy it so much then you're not going to get the best out of it anyway!

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 pm

It could easily take 3 months plus to find another post. It's expected that you'll move around a lot as an assistant/gaining work experience, so don't worry too much about it.
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:09 pm

It is very normal for clinical applicants to move around jobs quickly. In fact you are more likely to be questioned if you stay in a post too long! The irony. :roll:

jamesivens

Post by jamesivens » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:46 am

Hello

As you mentioned, you feel like there's two main problems with the work;
1)its not very challenging.
2)the boss is making your life hell on a daily basis.

So what are your options?
- leave. But as you say it looks good on paper.
- don't do anything and stick it out for the next 3 months
- talk to you manager and see if you can discuss both issues, and see if you could come up with a solution. You may be opportunities for more responsibility or opportunities to do something more interesting, and also the manager my not be aware that they are making the role difficult for you. If things change, great. If not, then at least you know you've exhausted every avenue so you can make an informed decision.
- other

You could look at the advantages and disadvantages of each option and then pick what's right for you.

Best wishes

J.

pamplemousse

Post by pamplemousse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 pm

I have the same question but in a different situation. I am a Support Worker (physical disability) working part time (25 hours per week) at a University. I enjoy the job but it's very easy, absolutely no challenge at all. I say this because I worked for an organisation for 9 months during my final year at Uni (I graduated this summer) with people in their own homes who had the same disability as the student I currently support. I've tried to think of how I am learning from the post but I haven't come up with anything. I'm treading old ground. It's fairly well-paid though, however obviously being part-time it's only just enough to live on and there are always long holidays at University! I have only been there for 4 months now and I'm wondering if that's too soon to leave. It feels like no time at all. I wouldn't leave without another job to go to but I do worry about upping and moving on when I'm supposed to be providing support. I feel like I should be more reliable somehow. However I am also moving to another city. It is possible to commute but pretty expensive and I have seen some very interesting jobs in the city I'm moving to. So has anyone else felt like they weren't gaining anything new in a post and had the possibility to jump ship but felt it may reflect badly later on? :|

BlackGirlLost

Post by BlackGirlLost » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Personally I sometimes think you need to feel like this to actually do something about it. We're the only person who knows what is better for us.

I know I was in a job for far too long and I jumped ship. I was not learning anything, everyone at work knew me far too well. I moved and it was the best thing I ever did, it opened me to new challenges I thought I'd confronted in my previous job but it was completely different.

I don't think 4 months is too soon. I guess you have to realise why you think your leaving too soon. I mean is it how it will look on your CV? How it will look to other employers? Then you have to think about how you would explain to other people you left which I think you have.

Its never too soon to do anything... :)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 pm

With support work jobs, if you have something more challenging to leave for, then leave. They are high turnover jobs, and so long as you are leaving for something at least as good somewhere else what negative effect could it possibly have (unless you have a long run of very short posts*, which might look like you lack commitment, or that you aren't well enough liked for contracts to be extended). It doesn't matter how long you've been there, if you've got a better offer and it isn't a post that is very prestigious and doesn't have a payoff for staying with it (eg gradually increasing responsibility, seeing research through to the end, getting named on publications, finishing client work that you've started, etc) I don't think you'll be negatively judged for accepting a better offer. Besides, I'd go with what feels right, not some arbitrary time limit that might look better on paper.

*before people get paranoid and thinking "OMG the clinical courses are never going to accept me because I did a 6 month post and then a 9 month post and now I'm only 3 months into my new post when I'm applying for training".... I'm meaning a lot of consecutive very short posts, like 6 weeks of something, 4 weeks of something new, then 9 weeks of something else, then a couple of months at something else, then 4 weeks of a fifth job and you are applying for something 3 weeks into your sixth post.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

pamplemousse

Post by pamplemousse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks BlackGirlLost and miriam for your comments. I think I know the answer is 'leave if it's for something better'. It's just because I support one student and have come to know them over the past few months and I wouldn't want to cause them undue stress by leaving the post. I don't currently have a better offer anyway and who knows, maybe I won't get anything until this current contract is finished in the summer. Worth a try though. :)

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:14 pm

pamplemousse wrote:Thanks BlackGirlLost and miriam for your comments. I think I know the answer is 'leave if it's for something better'. It's just because I support one student and have come to know them over the past few months and I wouldn't want to cause them undue stress by leaving the post. I don't currently have a better offer anyway and who knows, maybe I won't get anything until this current contract is finished in the summer. Worth a try though. :)
Find a job first then worry about it. It can takes months and months to be in post especially an NHS post. You probably not find something straight away. It could be 6months to a year before you get a job especially an AP. Then u will think why did I worry.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Personally unless I had another job offer I would stay put with that job for the time being simply because right now I've been looking for work since July and am still struggling. Of course given your experience you may find it a little easier, but unfortunately it's a very difficult job market right now and I would say it's better to have an unchallenging job well paid job and some experience, than no job at all! Keep applying for jobs, especially in your new area and hopefully soon something will turn up that appeals to you and is more convenient :) You just have to balance whether the risk of not having a job vs. having a long commute is worth it really, only you can tell! Good luck anyway :)

pamplemousse

Post by pamplemousse » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Just to update, I have still not left the part-time uni job. As it turns out I ended up getting a very part time RA post at the same University which fits in around my main job so I suppose it's not all bad. I would still love a more 'professional' role and I really hope something comes my way in the next few months as I will be pretty much totally unemployed by the end of May. :(

Oh and congrats Esuma on your new job! :D

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 pm

That's great news that you found an RA post alongside the support work - that experience will hopefully give you an edge with some other related jobs. Sorry to hear about the May situation :( Hang in there and keep applying, I'm sure something will come up soon that you'll enjoy and get more from. Best of luck to you in the job hunting, let us know how you get on :) .

And thank you very much! :D