Location! Location! Location!

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Followerofdreams

Location! Location! Location!

Post by Followerofdreams » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Hello,

Sorry if there is a topic out there that is similar to this. I just want to know how many people have moved to get into their chosen career?

Tiggerman

Re: Location! Location! Location!

Post by Tiggerman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:30 am

I will be moving a few hours away come september!
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals - Winston Churchill

defunktion

Post by defunktion » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:01 am

I'm from Kent originally; I spent a year in South Wales, and two in the North East, and now I'm relocating to the West Midlands. I guess I'm fairly nomadic having moved about for University (Norwich and Nottingham!). For me, the moves have been really helpful as I sort of overlooked the fact that we have different cultures just hours from each other. Learning about different people's values and beliefs has been really eye-opening for me. I'd think carefully about a move so you've thought about all the outcomes and what it might mean to be further away. I drive, so really I don't feel too out of touch as I can still just about make it home for the odd weekend here and there. I've learnt more about myself as a person (as cliche as it sounds), so there is light at the end of the tunnel. And with the experience I've gained it's opened doors to get me back home again.
When all you have is a hammer...

baa

Post by baa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:09 am

I stayed in the same town I went to uni in for my AP stint (Guildford). This was mostly coincidence, rather than by design, as that's just where the jobs were. But then I gambled and moved to East Anglia for a PWP role in the hope that I'd get to High Intensity - luckily it paid off! I can't see myself moving out of this area any time soon, I wouldn't move for a job anymore - it's too nice round here. Plus I made The Bf move up here, so it'd be mean to make him move again since he actually has a job he likes now.
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

Peach

Post by Peach » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:23 am

I haven't moved for a job so far, I wouldn't mind doing so though if it was a job I really wanted. I think I live in a great location as it's easy to commute to locations where most psych jobs are (at least the ones I'm interested in anyway) so I think it's unlikely I will need to move.
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

huwtube

Post by huwtube » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:34 pm

I moved from London to Lincoln for my current job. Are you trying to figure out how likely it is because you want to avoid it? I think, to be optimistic, it can be seen as an upside of the job; new places to see, a chance to meet a new set of people, getting in touch with the nomadic part of ourself, and the chance of moving on if you don't like it. There's alot to see in Britain and it's hard to see it all!

However, to be honest I had rather fallen in love with London, and I still find it hard not living there 6 months on.

Good luck.
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:17 pm

I haven't yet but in the next few weeks I could potentially move from Newcastle to London or Brighton :D
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

huwtube

Post by huwtube » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Ah well, luckily they are both fantastic, so congratulations!
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.

Pickle

Post by Pickle » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:09 pm

For what it's worth I've never moved away from my local area at all... not for undergrad (although I did move out of home and stay out in case anyone is wondering!)/jobs/the doctorate. Fortunately, the area I live in is in a good location for various motorways/train lines etc., hence commuting hasn't been too bad.

I've always been quite a values-led person so staying close to my family/friends/pets :D is important to me.

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:02 pm

For the sake of anonymity, let me just say "yes" :lol: (not that I'm THAT anonymous)
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

psy40174

Post by psy40174 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:59 am

It can be quite scary moving to a new place, but there are lots of things that can help e.g. moving into a shared house, taking up a new hobby, and also having your friends to come visit to explore a new place together can be fun too! I have moved across the english channel a few times to different places, for Uni, then back for an AP post and then back again for an AP post. I have been lucky in having a few friends from home that have also relocated to these places (by co-incidence for their own reasons). But yes in short, I have moved to get into the career I wanted to do!
-------------------------------------------------------
“I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realised who was telling me this.” - Emo Philips

nlg

Post by nlg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:36 am

I've moved for a job, it was to the hometown of a friend from uni which made the move a lot easier. Although I don't regret it, I did feel isolated at times, especially when said friend went travelling, work was really difficult and I no longer had use of a car.

I'm due to finish my Masters soon and location is something I've thought quite a lot about in regards to job applications. I think I would move up to a couple of hours away but no further and perhaps do things a little differently. I would actually make the new place my home, not see it is a short term thing. When I moved, I didn't take all of my things and knew it wasn't forever so I guess that could have stopped me really settling in properly. And I would move into a shared house with people my age, I think that is a great way to meet people.

ILikeBrains

Post by ILikeBrains » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:58 pm

I've moved around a lot(including a long stint abroad) sometimes for work, sometimes just because! I've had some brilliant experiences and made some amazing friendships along the way but I always end up coming back to my family's adopted hometown. The one thing I would say about moving for work is that being from a close family it can be really tough at times if you are a long distance away and need a hug and someone who knows you "warts and all"!

BTW Brighton is an amazing place to live :D

Followerofdreams

Post by Followerofdreams » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 pm

I just wondered to see how likely it will be for me to move. I'm a bit of a home girl after having a horrible time with housemates at uni so the thought of moving away somewhere completely new is a bit daunting. I suppose it's worth it if you can find a job you really enjoy.

Thanks everyone for your experiences
x

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:49 am

I don't think you HAVE to move in order to get where you want to be. I moved for uni and stayed there for a further year and a half post graduation for jobs, but the market was actually better in the area I originally came from (West Mids) so moved back over here for various reasons, worked for a year and 2 years into a fairly local doctorate, still here! It really depends where you're based and the availability of local courses if the doctorate is what you want to do - obviously if you're in Cornwall, you might struggle a bit more on the job front than more populated areas.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.