Volunteering Opportunities

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
Followerofdreams

Volunteering Opportunities

Post by Followerofdreams » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know of any relevant volunteer opportunities in Hampshire/Dorset? Ideally, I want to do helpline work but unable to fulfill the time commitments of Samartitans nor live in a city/town with a local center. I've looked http://mhhp.org.uk/member-helplines.html but it seems like most helplines are either Midlands/North. I'm already volunteer as an assistant psychologist and I do shift work (four on, four off), but would like to gain some extra experience for when I do my masters in September.

If anyone can offer me some information or can aid me in anyway I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

:)

Morningstar

Re: Volunteering Opportunities

Post by Morningstar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi followerofdreams

I'm sorry I don't know of any helplines in that area, but I was wondering if you had considered online support/mentoring. I know of Horsemouth, which is an online mentoring site (although I've not worked for or used the site so can't comment on its quality) and also that you can be a live chat co-ordinator for b-eat (http://www.b-eat.co.uk/support-us/get-i ... rtunities/) but I imagine there would similar opportunities elsewhere. It might be worth checking out http://www.do-it.org.uk/ to see what opportunities there are in your area.

The other thing that struck me from your post is giving yourself some time to relax! I'm not sure how often or how long you do your voluntary AP post for, but that on top of shift work (which is tiring in itself) and a Masters from September seems like it could take up quite a lot of your time. I understand that it can seem really appealing to get lots of experience at once, particularly when it's something you're passionate about, but I also think there's definitely something to be said for building some 'you' time in as well!

Followerofdreams

Post by Followerofdreams » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks Morningstar!

I'll have a look at what you mentioned :D . I do appreciate your thoughts, I just don't feel I really do enough at the moment lol especially after hearing about the wealth of experience people have. I'll be going part-time at work through out my MSc and thought if I could find something that I could either do from home or near by then I would be able to fit it in. My AP post is a bit of a drive away so I tend to do that twice a month on average as my shifts can get in the way.

I will certainly build in some "me" time too (I think my boyfriend might notice if I get too busy to even see him and then I would be in trouble lol)

Thank you again :D

ILikeBrains

Post by ILikeBrains » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi!

I'm not sure whereabouts in Dorset you're considering but if East is any good have a look at this;

http://www.poolevolunteercentre.org.uk/ ... NE12VV.pdf

You might have to trawl through it a bit but there are probably a few posts in there that might be suitable (one in particular offering telephone support from home). Another option might be something like "Singing for the Brain" groups, I think they generally happen during weekday morning or afternoons which might fit in well with shift work. I know there are loads of groups going on in the Bmth & Poole area, I think you might be able to find more info about these in local libraries.

All the best :)

Followerofdreams

Post by Followerofdreams » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for all the info :) I will have a look at the Bournemouth/Poole stuff. I live near the New Forest so the middle of no where really and the only "local" opportunities normally involve conservation work.